If you have questions at any time about how the game works, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to help you!
How the Game Works
It is late in the history of Arda. The Elves have long departed and the Ring War is but a bedtime tale told to children. The world has begun to change. The seas are shifting and the old lands are rising anew. Rumor comes upon the wind: Morgoth is on the brink of breaking free from beyond the Doors of Night, and the Valar are gathering forces to oppose him. According to the old legends, the outcome of this battle will determine if Arda will be restored to its unmarred state before Morgoth had done his damages …
Your task is to gather the people and items needed to wage this final battle. You will work with the other teams to discover the locations of the people and objects that you need to win the Dagor Dagorath and travel Arda to find them.
- Anyone is eligible to participate. You do not need to be a member of the affiliated groups in order to play.
- Teams may consist of one to four people.
- Each team will choose a character to represent them in the game. Characters will be assigned on a first-come-first-served basis. You may choose any canon character, no matter how obscure, or an original character.
- If you would like to work on a team with multiple players, you may either choose your teammates or contact us, and we will do our best to match you up with other players interested in forming a multi-player team.
- You may add players to your team once the game is underway. However, new teams cannot be created once the game has begun.
- All Tolkien-based creative work is acceptable for the game. Work may be based on any of the books (LotR, The Silmarillion, The Hobbit, and all other works published by Tolkien), may be of any rating, and concern any subject. Het, slash, gen, alternate universe, original characters, poetry, artwork, short fiction, long fiction, plays and screenplays, drabbles, ficlets … anything Tolkien-based is eligible!
- Challenge responses may not have been publicly posted before being posted for B2MeM.
- We are not going to be scrutinizing responses to judge how well we believe that they fit the challenge for which they were written. The challenges are open-ended and often result in unexpected responses. We encourage creativity for these challenges--follow your muses and see where they lead!
- Your work is your work, and we do not believe that we should tell authors where to share their work and when. However, we do recommend that you don't post your B2MeM entries outside of the B2MeM website until the game is complete since certain types of treasure are awarded for participation on the site. Anyone who wishes to comment on your work may do so on the B2MeM website.
- Although you will choose a character to represent your team in the game, your challenge responses do not need to concern that character in any way.
Moving on the Map
- Your team will choose a location on the map from which you will begin your quest.
- Each week, you will be able to take one move to a location adjacent to your current location. For example, if you begin in the Shire, you can move to Bree.
- Throughout your journey, you will receive items and treasure that will allow you to take extra moves.
- The location where you end up for the week will determine your team's challenge for that week. You must create a response to that challenge before being able to move to the next location.
- You will also find items, treasure, and people at the location where you stop. You must create a response to that location's challenge in order to collect items and treasure, get information from the people there, and make other discoveries at that location.
Items and Treasure
- As noted in the Moving on the Map section, you will receive items and treasure at some of the locations where you stop. Specific information on how and when they may be used will be given when you post your challenge entry for that location.
- You can receive treasure for other reasons as well. What reasons, you ask? That you will have to discover--we will only encourage players to be active participants and supportive of other teams!
- You may exchange items or treasure with another team if you both pass through the same location in the same week. You do not need to stop in that location. Please contact us to let us know that you will be exchanging items.
- As noted in How the Game Works, all teams will be working together to solve the mysteries leading up to the Dagor Dagorath. The Tavern is where you will meet to share information and discuss ideas and strategies with other players.
- The Tavern is in-character, which means that you should write in first person from your character's point of view. However, this is not a role-playing game; you do not need to role-play your character unless you would like to.
- Instructions on how to post to the Tavern can be found in the Tavern.
- The game will run for five weeks with one challenge per week. Therefore, teams should be prepared to create five challenge responses--one per week--over the course of the game. We encourage you to structure your team with this schedule in mind.
- A B2MeM volunteer will contact you on Sunday, February 28 with the items you have picked up from your starting location. We encourage you to send us your move for the week by Tuesday. You will need to email us with the items you used at each location and the location where you stopped. A B2MeM volunteer will contact you with your challenge for the week.
- Challenge entries are due by Sunday. Once you have posted your challenge entry for the week, a B2MeM volunteer will contact you with any items you have collected and information you have discovered at that location. You are then free to move on to the next location!
- New challenges, however, will be sent out no earlier than Sunday. For example, if you post your challenge story on Friday morning and contact us by Friday evening with your move for the next week, you will not receive your next challenge until Sunday. This is to help keep us organized and keep the game running smoothly.
- The Tuesday due date for sending your move for the week is a soft deadline; there is no penalty for sending them late, although we recommend trying to stay on schedule. The Sunday due date for challenge entries is a hard deadline. You cannot move beyond your current location without submitting a challenge entry first. If your challenge entry is late, you will not be able to collect items for that location. (You will still be able to collect treasure and information from people at that location.)
- If there are time conflicts during the game, please contact us ahead of time, and we will do our best to work with and accommodate you. Likewise, if you will not have time to post your challenge entry by Sunday, please email it, and one of the game moderators will post it for you.