Sunset by ford_of_bruinen

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Cirdan arrives to Sirion after the sons of Feanor attacked the town.

Major Characters: Círdan, Meleth (Elf)

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre:

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 551
Posted on 14 March 2013 Updated on 14 March 2013

This fanwork is complete.

Sunset

Read Sunset

The sun cast long shadows across the too-quiet harbour of Sirion. The ships still in the harbour lay docked and silent, no one moved across the deck or climbed the masts, over on the shore the lively bustle that surrounded this small fishing harbour had vanished under the thick scent of smoke that still clung to the air. It took him another few minutes to realise the ever-present gulls were gone.

A shiver crept down his spine. Something had happened here, something far more vast than an attack on a fishing village. Dread was pooling in his stomach, growing stronger as the ship pulled into shore and the broken bodies on the sand came into view.

He jumped across the railing as soon as the water was shallow enough and waded, half-running, through the water. He had to know, he told himself. He had to know if she was among those fallen. The stench of blood mingled with the acrid smoke as he came closer. He had seen battlefields before, he had even fought on them both from land and sea but this, this was different. This had not been a war, this was as cruel and senseless as the attack on Doriath.

Behind him other followed, wading towards the shore in grim silence. One by one the came across, stopping by bodies, turning them over and trying to remember their names. Sirion had been the home of many of his younger sailors, this was family and friends, not strangers.

He walked through the village, past the once tidy square and the last row of houses until he saw he cottage. Tuor had once built it for his grieving wife, with windows facing towards the west and the oceans between her world and his. After they had left, seeking a place where death held no meaning, Earendil had moved in with his odd, birdlike wife and later the twins had been born here and the girl who had once minded the child Earendil, already by then playing with little boats in the puddles, had moved in as well. One could call Elwing many things, but maternal was not one of them. Slowing his steps he feared what he would find, a sudden reluctance to go further held him back.

Even as he hesitated the door opened and he could see her, outlined in the fading sunlight.

“They took the twins”, she said, her voice too calm. “They took the twins, hoping Elwing would surrender.”

He walked closer. “I am sorry,” he heard his voice reply. “But after Doriath I do not believe the children will be harmed. They say he searched long for Dior's twins.”

Rubbing her palms over her face she drew a long shuddering breath as she stepped forward, becoming herself rather than a mere silhouette against the sunset. “Can we get them back?” her voice shook.

Regretfully he shook his head, wrapping his arms around her and resting his head on hers. “No. The remaining sons of Feanor keep their own counsel. They travel where others do not.”

He felt her shuddering in his arms as the tears came and he knew she would come with him this time. He had wished a long time for this moment, but never like this. Looking up he saw the sky burning the colour of blood. He had never wanted this.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.