A Morsel of Food or Two by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

For warnings see chapter notes.

Written for a food challenge on Tolkien Weekly (LiveJournal); posted to AO3 in 2015.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Drabbles about food:
I: Caraway (featuring Frodo and Rosie)
II: Cheese-wright of Gondor (featuring a woman of Lossarnach)

Major Characters: Original Female Character(s), Frodo, Rosie Cotton

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Fixed-Length Ficlet

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Check Notes for Warnings

Chapters: 2 Word Count: 206
Posted on 18 June 2023 Updated on 18 June 2023

This fanwork is complete.

Caraway

Frodo and Rosie: Frodo’s canonical illness; an uncanonical bit of hobbit lore.

Light angst.

Read Caraway

'Have a slice of seed-cake, Mister Frodo!'

'I'm sorry, Rosie, I've no appetite today.'

The mere thought of food threatened to choke him. He had expected her worried frown, not her reluctance to remove the plate.

'What is it, Rosie?'

'I baked it especially for you, with lots of care-away seeds. I know you're too learned to believe in such things...'

Yes, he'd read in books that the name "caraway" had nothing to do with "care". No matter--the pressure in his chest eased, just a little. The room seemed just a little lighter.

'I'll try, Rosie. Just a bite.'


Chapter End Notes

The prompt was "Seed-Cake".

I apologize to the Professor for the pun, but hope he would consider it hobbit-like.

That the "seed" in seed-cake is traditionally caraway seems to be a fact.

(100 Words according to MS Word)

Cheese-wright of Gondor

Who made the "good red cheese" that Frodo and Sam ate in Henneth Annun?

Reference to canonical character death; grief.

Read Cheese-wright of Gondor

On Forlong's estate in Lossarnach, she makes cheese. The days are dark, the shadows of war deepen, but people still need food, soldiers rations, so she continues to add rennet to curdle the milk, salting the curds and pressing them into their mould. Her cheeses are eaten by Forlong himself, served by Targon in the Citadel, shared by Faramir with men and guests from afar.

On the day the War ends, she will stand, her fingers dripping with whey, weeping tears of joy mingled with tears of grief for her lord, hewed unhorsed by axes on the Pelennor Fields.


Chapter End Notes

The prompt was "Cheese", accompanied with the quotation about "good red cheese" in Henneth Annun. I connected it with another mention of Gondorian cheese and filled in a bit of background.

I imagine Forlong was partial to a bit of nice cheese, given his girth. I also think Lossarnach probably paid part of its taxes to Minas Tirith directly in food supplies, being so close to the City.

100 Words according to Notepad Classic.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.