Moon-letters by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for Fandom Stocking 2016 for MangoTea. 

The request was for Elrond and also mentioned lore, hiking and friendship as favoured themes.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A tiny gap-filler from Elrond's POV.

Memories of Eregion.

Major Characters: Elrond

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre:

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 182
Posted on 19 June 2023 Updated on 19 June 2023

This fanwork is complete.

Moon-letters

Read Moon-letters

'Is there any more writing?' asked Gandalf.

Elrond turned the map around carefully in the moonlight to see whether there might be any more moon-letters besides the ones he had just discovered. As he did so, he remembered his cousin Celebrimbor showing him moon-letters for the first time. He had already heard of them, but not seen them before. Celebrimbor had known all about them, of course, friends as he was with the dwarves of Khazad-dum, and one evening he had taken Elrond on a walk with him to a dell some way up on the slope of Silvertine to watch Narvi write moon-letters on a new map of Eregion with a silver pen under a crescent moon. Elrond had not always agreed entirely with Celebrimbor or gotten on as well with him as that evening when they walked companionably up the Silvertine together, but that had been a good evening. So long ago, now--he sighed inwardly.

'None to be seen by this moon,' he answered Gandalf's question and gave the map back to Thorin.


Chapter End Notes

The beginning and the end are quoted directly from the scene in The Hobbit.

I'm using the term "cousin" loosely here. Technically, the family relationship between Elrond and Celebrimbor is quite complicated (second cousins twice-removed, apparently, according to a comment on this ficlet by Anna Wing).


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.