Elven Elements by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for an artwork/image prompt at tolkienshortfanworks: a photograph of a beaded strand called Elven Elements, photographed by the artist (Lferion), who kindly offered use as a prompt.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Young Arwen and a very special necklace.

Major Characters: Arwen, Elrond

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre:

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings: Check Notes for Warnings

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 496
Posted on 7 October 2023 Updated on 7 October 2023

This fanwork is complete.

Elven Elements

Read Elven Elements

‘I am making a Necklace,’ young Arwen had gravely and graciously informed the assembled guests in the Hall of Fire. ‘You need to give me things I can put on it.’

‘Please,’ she had added, sounding even more imperious, not less so, for all the humbleness of the word.

Elrond opened his mouth to apologize and explain, but saw at once that there was no need. It was not only the Noldor who immediately recognized the vital importance of a first Making; clearly the others were familiar with similar first projects and their significance and they were ready, even eager to comply. Some immediately began extricating their gifts out of their hair or to remove them from ornaments they were wearing; a few others promised Arwen their contribution by the following day.

‘What were you given for the necklace, Arwen?’ Elrond asked, in the evening.

Arwen brought out the basket in which she had collected the gifted items and carefully arranged them on a tray between the two of them.

Elrond surveyed the colourful and gleaming array of objects and was even more stunned by the generosity of the guests. Some stood out by their beauty or skill, others by the preciousness of the material, others by the strength of feeling they were imbued with and their age. Pieces from all over Elvendom—by chance only Elves had been represented in the Hall that night—from as far as the Greenwood and as far back as Beleriand and even Valinor.

Truly, it was not only Elrond who found it difficult to refuse Arwen anything and thought her only worthy of the best! The pieces also well reflected the connections and influences that were coming together in Arwen. It struck Elrond again how, in these fading days of the Eldar, the Elves were finding it easier to forget past tensions and grievances and invest their hope in his children, as in others. Elven children might be few, but were even more treasured by all…

Elrond put his fingertip gently on the small glass disc that had been one of the few pieces Celeborn had still had from Doriath. He thought of admonishing Arwen just how valuable all these were, even the least of these pieces, how wrenching the loss if she should damage them in her work.

However, he remembered Celebrian saying once, laughingly, in his presence: ‘Sometimes I think my husband values ancientry as much as others do the most precious of jewels! He cares not so much for worth or craft for their own sake, but attach a history to it and at once he is tempted!’

The memory seemed like a warning to him—not to try and lay in hoard what others had so freely given—and so he said nothing.

But Arwen, who knew him well, laid her palm on this wrist and promised: ‘The links of my necklace will be strong, Father. It will all be safe; nothing will be lost.’


Chapter End Notes

Copy of original end note:  I feel I have not quite done the artwork prompt justice, but I nevertheless invite you to have a look at the linked image to consider which piece might have been contributed by which guest!


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.