A Star Shines by cuarthol

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Utilizing prompts 'first person point of view' and 'characters are unnamed'.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A new beginning cannot erase the past, but it can soften the blow.

Major Characters: Míriel Serindë

Major Relationships: Fëanor & Míriel

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Family, General

Challenges: Experimental

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 250
Posted on 9 November 2023 Updated on 9 November 2023

This fanwork is complete.

A Star Shines on the Hour of Our Meeting

Read A Star Shines on the Hour of Our Meeting

You were so small when I took you in my arms - smaller than I remembered.  My thoughts were a tempest of worries.  But I leaned in and brushed my cheek to yours, soft as peach skin, and you fresh as a spring bud escaping the snow.  All the smoke was blown away, and your fire, new kindled, filled you with light and warmth.

Still, fear lodged in my throat, clenched my heart, pooled in my stomach: would I be ready this time?  Would my strength suffice?  I knew I would not face this alone and yet I felt the lack of those I desperately wished to be near me, to see me through.

Your little yawn, so big for your lungs, could not but make me smile.  For a moment I thought you might wake.  But though you fussed, your eyes did not open and sleep reclaimed you, swaddled safe in your simple blanket.

I imagined what the past might have been had it started now, had I been there for you through it all.  I find I cannot feel regret for what came after, only sorrow.  Longing for the impossible.  But this is not then, and a new future spreads out before me, new histories to record.

Laying you in the cradle takes all my strength for I do not want to ever let you out of my arms.  But you sleep, and the threads call to me.  I weave with joy this new tapestry for this new world.


Chapter End Notes

Inspired by one of Tolkien's concepts of Elven rebirth as children (or infants).  I thought of what that would mean in terms of giving Míriel a 'second chance' at being Fëanor's mother.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Oh my!! I have such tears reading this! So beautiful! And opening up so many thoughts. I really like the way you've woven weaving into it as well, and her fatigue, only this time she's persevering... lovely!