Beautiful like Starlight by between_thepages

Fanwork Information

Summary:

During a ball in Ingwion's manor, Turukáno meets the most beautiful woman he has ever seen.

Major Characters: Elenwë, Turgon

Major Relationships: Elenwë/Turgon

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Romance

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 145
Posted on 10 November 2023 Updated on 10 November 2023

This fanwork is complete.

Beautiful like Starlight

Read Beautiful like Starlight

The large ballroom in Ingwion’s manor was adorned with all the finery one would expect for a prince of the Vanyar, yet even the shimmering tapestries on the wall could not compete with the beauty of the young Vanyarin woman Turukáno had seen enter a while ago and not let out of his sight since. Her presence had lit up the room for him, the silk of her green dress glimmering and her golden-blonde hair pinned up in braids, each decorated with a small ornament depicting a butterfly. He felt more than plain in comparison, despite his own robes being made of materials no less delicate and beautiful than hers.

Turukáno was deep in his thought as he watched her, saw her dance with one of Ingwion’s siblings and wished it was him instead, when Findaráto appeared next to him, pulling him back into reality.

You should go and talk with her.“

Turukáno hastily turned around at his friend's words, silently praying nobody else had seen him stare at her.

What if she does not want to talk with me?”

At this, Findaráto laughed.

You have watched her dance all evening, and she’s been stealing just as many glances at you. Speak with her.” And a little more quietly, he added, “I will cover for you, make excuses if necessary.”

You are a good friend, Ingo. I am in your debt,” was all Turukáno knew to say, but it seemed to be the right thing, as a slight blush spread on Findaráto’s cheeks at his words.

That is what friends do, Turno. Now go and woo your lovely lady.”

He clasped Turukáno’s shoulder for a moment, his hand warm and heavy through the elegant robe, steady and reassuring. Then he disappeared into the crowd, leaving Turukáno alone on the edges of the ballroom, surrounded by many unfamiliar faces.

At first, when he could not find the green glimmer of her dress among the dancers, Turukáno feared he had lost her, but then he found her sitting outside in the garden, surrounded by blooming lilac bushes. The flowers were beset by butterflies, oscillating in just as many colours as the ornaments in her hair. One of her braids had come loose, spilling her hair in waves over her shoulder, glittering golden like Laurelin’s light.

She must have heard his steps as she looked up right when he crossed the path, and their eyes met. Hers were a lovely, shining green, reminding him of the woods in summer. For a moment, he feared she would leave, but then a shy smile spread on her lips as she stood up, bowing ever so slightly before him.

My lord Turukáno.” Her voice was as soft and warm as he had imagined, and her sparkling blue eyes watched him curiously.

His heart was hammering like a thunderstorm in his chest with nervous anticipation as he answered her bow, a little lower than was perhaps befitting for someone of his station but certainly not deep enough for the reverence she deserved.

My lady…,” he stopped, finding that he still did not know her name.

Elenwë,” she supplied, still smiling at him, and as he repeated her name, all he could think was how fitting it was for her, as she seemed to be radiating light, bright like the stars and filled with love.

Will you walk with me, my lady?” he asked before he could decide on something else, trying to fill the silence that threatened to settle. He offered her his arm.

It would be an honour, my lord,” she replied, making his heart jump with joy, and took his offered arm. He could feel the warmth of her slender hands even through the layers of fabric.

The gardens of Ingwion’s manor were known for their beauty, the lilies blooming and the smell of lilac wafting through every corner, but not even the fairest lily was a contender for the beauty of Elenwë walking by his side.

Are you enjoying the evening, my lady?” was all he knew to ask, and it seemed an inadequate question for how he felt about walking with her, yet there was no better opening to a conversation on his mind. Nonetheless, she smiled at him when she answered, “I do now that I am no longer amidst the people in the ballroom. I fear I am not the most comfortable in crowds.”

Neither am I,” he whispered, looking away into the rows of flowers. He did not possess the natural charm of Findekáno, nor Findaráto’s easygoing nature or Írissë’s fearlessness when it came to meeting others, and as much as he still hesitated in talking to Elenwë, baring his true self to her felt surprisingly easy.

I would not have guessed,” she said, “you were holding yourself confidently when I saw you and certainly turned more than a few heads.”

His dark complexion did not show the blush appearing over his cheeks at her words, but his heart fluttered with hope at her words.

The same can be said about you, my lady.” He had spoken the words just loud enough for her to hear, and the colour spreading on her face was lovely, as was the shy look she gave him.

They had just rounded a corner back into a field of lilac when another Vanyarin woman entered the garden, looking around. Elenwë picked up her skirt and loosened the grip on his arm as soon as she saw her.

I am afraid I have to go,” she murmured, her eyes not meeting his this time, “my mother will demand I come with her.”

Turukáno wanted nothing more than to encourage her and tell her not to worry, but he was unsure how. Instead, all he asked was, “When will I see you again?”

At this, she looked up again, a hopeful sparkle in her eyes, and squeezed his arm in a thankful gesture.

Call at the house in a few days,” she replied softly, “I will have talked with my parents until then.”

I will gladly do so.”

In truth, he would have been willing to find a way to see her again, even if she thought her parents would disapprove of them seeing each other.

Elenwë was about to say something in response when her mother called out her name, the word echoing through the garden. Elenwë looked at him apologetically, squeezing his arm one last time before letting go and walking towards the colonnades.

He stayed among the lilac, watching as she walked away. She turned back to him once, her blue eyes meeting his through one of the archways, her smile a promise worth everything. Then she disappeared around a corner, leaving Turukáno alone.

 


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.