Documents from Doriath in Rivendell's Library by UnicornsInSpace

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This is my entry for the November 2023 challenge- Experimental. I saw a prompt on Tumblr that said, "What if there were a bunch of random documents from the First Age that told them Silm that way, and they were compiled by Elrond?" So, I thought, "What if they had modern vital records in Beleriand?" and wrote it that way, with letters and diary entries to fill in the gaps. Hope people enjoy! No beta we die like Thingol after the dwarves put the silmaril the nauglamír haha.
Also, thanks so much to Shihali and Stormfallen from the Linguistics channel of the SWG discord for helping me with these names!! Your help was indispensable!!

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Small pieces of the Silm told through documents from Doriath.

Major Characters: Elrond, Elu Thingol, Galadriel

Major Relationships: Elrond & Galadriel

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Experimental, Family, General, In-Universe Artifact

Challenges: Experimental

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 5 Word Count: 922
Posted on 12 November 2023 Updated on 12 November 2023

This fanwork is complete.

Letter and Diary Entry of Thingol's

Read Letter and Diary Entry of Thingol's

Letter dated YT 1152, in Common Eldarin (never sent)

Dear Finwë,

            You will never believe what happened to me! I was in the forest on my way to see you, when I heard the most beautiful voice. I got distracted, of course. I went off to find the source of it, deep in the forest, and found the most beautiful woman I had ever seen in my life. She was surrounded by singing birds. She looked at me, and I could not do anything but look back at her. When we finally came to, I noticed the forest had grown up around us, and I thought, we couldn’t have taken that long, could we? Anyway, we’re married now. I can’t wait for you to meet her!

Yours, etc.

Elwë

PS I am thinking of changing my name to Elu Thingol, or just Thingol. So, if you get a letter from someone with that name, it’s me, not a stranger.

Journal Entry also dated YT 1152, in Common Eldarin

            So, it has come to my attention that my wife Melian and I were staring at each other for over 20 years, and both Finwë and my brother Olwë have already left for Valinor. To say I am shocked would be an understatement. I will dearly miss my friend and brother, for I know I may not see them again for a long while. Melian does not wish to return to Valinor, so we have agreed to stay here in Beleriand and set up our own kingdom, named Doriath. I wonder if Melian can have children. It would be nice to have an obvious heir, of course, but I also love children.

---

CERTIFICATE OF TRANSLATION

I, Glorfindel, am competent to translate from Common Eldarin to Modern Sindarin, and certify that the translation of Thingol’s Letters and Journal is true and accurate to the best of my abilities.

Glorfindel

Name of Translator

The Last Homely House East of the Sea, Rivendell

Address of Translator


Chapter End Notes

I looked up what language the elves were speaking at this time on Tolkien Gateway, and it said Common Eldrain. Idk if Glorfindel would really be able to translate from Common Eldarin, but I decided he would be for the story's sake.

Lúthien Birth Certificate

Read Lúthien Birth Certificate


A modern looking birth certificate for Lúthien. It begins with Thingol and Melian's heraldic devices on each side on the top of the page. Then it says, "Kingdom of Doriath, Certification of Vital Record, Beneath the Stars, Forest of Neldoreth, Certificate of Live Birth, Kingdom of Doriath, Use Black Ink Only," Then there is a table below with this text: This Child	1A. Name of Child-First Lúthien	1B. Middle [blank]	1C. Last [blank]  2. Sex  Female	3A. This Birth (Single, Twin, etc.) Single	3B. If Multiple, this child 1st, 2nd, etc. [blank]	4A. Date of Birth -   Y.T. 1200	4B. Hour- 24 Hour Clock Time 1428 Place of Birth	5A. Name of Place Beneath the Stars, Forest of Neldoreth	5B. Country  Kingdom of Doriath Name of Parent	6A. Name of Parent, 1st  Melian	6B. Middle [blank]	6C. Last [blank]	6D.    Mother	7. Birthplace – State/Country  Timeless Halls	8. Date of Birth Before the Dawn of Time. Name of Parent	9A. Name of Parent, 1st Elu	9B. Middle [blank]	9C. Last  Thingol	9D.  Father	10. Birthplace – State/Country Cuiviénen	11. Date of Birth  Y.T. 1075




---




CERTIFICATE OF TRANSLATION



I, Elrond Peredhel, am competent to translate from Common Telerin to Modern Sindarin, and certify that the translation of Lúthien’s Birth Certificate is true and accurate to the best of my abilities.



Elrond Peredhel


Name of Translator



Last Homely House East of the Sea, Rivendell


Address of Translator

Diary of Artanis Arafinwiel

I had to add Galadriel in this, of course. Also, I wanted her to sound a lot younger here, because she was.

Read Diary of Artanis Arafinwiel

Diary Entry of Artanis Arafinwiel, Dated FA 6, in Quenya

King Thingol, Ammë’s uncle, has invited me and my brothers to stay in Doriath. I am really looking forward to it. Supposedly, Thingol has a maia wife who has put up a protective barrier all around Doriath, so that will be cool to see. I wonder if she will teach me any of her magic. I do dearly love to learn, and with Uncle Fëanor dead, I could be the smartest of the Ñoldor in Beleriand.

Diary Entry of Artanis Arafinwiel Dated FA 52, in Quenya

Good news! King Thingol has invited me and Finrod as long guests in Doriath. I am so excited! Queen Melian said that she can teach me some of the magic I was so curious about before, and I cannot wait to start! Also, I met this really hot Sindarin man named Celeborn the last time I was there. I hope he is into Ñoldorin women who are half Teleri.

Update- He is! We’re going on a date next week.

Update to the update- We went to his favorite spot in Neldoreth and ate this food called lembas from Queen Melian. It was really delicious. I will have to ask her for the recipe. Then we looked at the stars and I held his hand while he waxed poetic about all his favorite types of trees. He is so dreamy! Also, Melian is teaching me all sorts of magic, I am going to be the most powerful elf in Beleriand one day!

---

CERTIFICATE OF TRANSLATION

I, Galadriel Finarfiniel, am competent to translate from Quenya to Sindarin, and certify that the translation of My Embarrassing Old Diary Entries is true and accurate to the best of my abilities.

Galadriel Finarfiniel

Name of Translator

Caras Galadhon, Lothlórien

Address of Translator

If anyone else asked other than you, Elrond, I would have said no.

Marriage Certificate for Galadriel and Celeborn

Thanks again to Shihali and Stormfallen for help with the names!!

 

Read Marriage Certificate for Galadriel and Celeborn

A modern-looking marriage certificate. Melian and Thingol's heraldic devices are on the top on the sides. The text says, "Kingdom of Doriath Certification of Vital Record   City of Menegroth  License and Certificate of Marriage Must Be Legible – Make No Erasures, Whiteouts, or Other Alterations Use Black Ink Only  First Person Data	First Name Galadriel	Current Last Finarfiniel 	Date of Birth YT 1362	Place of Birth Tirion, Valinor Full Name of Father/Parent: Finarfin, son of Finwë	Place of Birth: Tirion, Valinor Full Name of Mother/Parent:  Eärwen, daughter of Olwë	Place of Birth: Alqualondë, Valinor Second Person Data	First Name Celeborn	Current Last 	Date of Birth YT 1385	Place of Birth Menegroth, Doriath Full Name of Father/Parent: Galadhon, son of Elmo	Place of Birth: Neldoreth, Doriath Full Name of Mother/Parent:  Alaviel, daughter of Denipor	Place of Birth: Vales of Anduin Affidavit	We, the undersigned, declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of King Elu Thingol that we are unmarried and that the foregoing information is true and correct to the best of our knowledge and belief. (Signed) Galadriel Finarfiniel	(Signed) Celeborn."


The second part of the marriage certificate. It says, "License to Marry	I, the undersigned, do hereby certify that the above-named parties to be married have personally appeared before me, and proved with satisfactory evidence to meet all the requirements of the law. Authorization is hereby given to any person duly authorized to perform a marriage. Issue Date: FA 60	Name of Clerk: Lanthirpen	 Witness	Name:  Finrod Felagund	Address: Palace of Nargothrond Certification of Person Solemnizing Marriage Date of Marriage: FA 60	City/Town of Marriage: Menegroth	Name of Person Solemnizing Marriage (Write or Print Clearly): Queen Melian Official Title: Queen of Doriath	Address: Court of Menegroth.  Kingdom of Doriath, Department of Public Health, Office of Vital Records"


CERTIFICATE OF TRANSLATION



I, Celeborn of Doriath, am competent to translate from Doriathrin Sindarin to Modern Sindarin, and certify that the translation of Galadriel and Celeborn’s Marriage Certificate is true and accurate to the best of my abilities.



Celeborn of Doriath


Name of Translator



Caras Galadhon, Lothlórien


Address of Translator


 

Letter from Galadriel to Elrond

Read Letter from Galadriel to Elrond

Letter dated TA 579

Caras Galadhon, Lothlórien

From Galadriel to Elrond

            Dear Elrond,

            I have enclosed in this letter translations for the diaries and marriage license that you asked for. Thank you very much for asking Celeborn to translate our marriage certificate for you. It made him feel included. I also added two documents you did not ask for, but thought you would find of interest- a letter and a journal entry of Thingol’s from the end of the Great Journey that me and Celeborn found in the ruins of Doriath. They are in Common Eldarin, and I do not have the time to translate them right now, but Glorfindel should be able to. Just ask him. If anyone else had asked me to do send my old diary entries, I would have said no. But I know you will use it respectfully.

            Arwen, Celeborn, and I send our love to you. Make sure to send it to Elladan and Elrohir as well.

            Sincerely,

            Galadriel


Chapter End Notes

Hope everyone liked it! I did a lot of guesswork with the dates, and sometimes just took some artistic license. It was really fun to write these are do the research for them!!


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.