Settling Down by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

References Yule celebrations, but not the canonical ones that Bilbo and Gandalf attended.
This is set during an earlier winter.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

It is deep winter. Beorn and his friends settle down to a well-deserved rest.
Double drabble.

Major Characters: Beorn

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Fixed-Length Ficlet

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 203
Posted on 2 February 2024 Updated on 2 February 2024

This fanwork is complete.

Settling Down

Read Settling Down

Beorn watched the last of his Midwinter guests disappear towards the forest and heaved a sigh from the bottom of his deep chest. It had been a magnificent Yule, with plenty of good cheer, mead and story-telling, and no worse for doubling as celebration of a victory, comparatively small, but the best kind, without losses. Now, however, his wintry mood, suspended for the duration, began to return. He sniffed the air. Yes, more severe weather was on its way, with snow and wind and frost. His guests would get home safely, but it was time for a good long rest.

 

With the help of Beorn’s animal friends, soon the remains of the feast were cleared away. Torches were doused, one by one. Beorn banked the fire himself. He gave a rumbling, snorting sigh, clambered onto the large low bedstead in front of the hearth and curled up. Two of his dog friends joined him. All over the homestead, his friends made their own sleeping arrangements.

Outside, dusk had long fallen. The first snowflakes drifted down out of the rapidly darkening sky. Everyone in Beorn’s Hall slumbered, down to the motionless bees in their hives; nothing stirred, not even a mouse.


Chapter End Notes

If you like, you can decide for yourself who was among the departing guests and who had fought alongside Beorn to gain this small victory.

 

Originally written for tolkien100, for the prompt "well-deserved rest".

2 x 100 words in MS Word.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.