New Challenge: It Comes in Threes

SWG Challenge - It Comes in Threes - March 15 through April 15, 2024

Pythagoras called the number three the noblest of all digits. Certainly, language, religion, myth, history, literature, and popular culture are littered with things that come in threes. The legendarium is no exception. Three is a powerful number in Tolkien's world, and like the Primary World, there are many examples in Middle-earth that come in threes. (The word "three" is mentioned fifty-nine times in The Silmarillion!)

For this month's challenge, we gathered 130 prompts that occur in sets of three. You can select any prompt (or prompts!) from our list to inspire or incorporate in your fanwork. Note that some prompts may have multiple meanings or interpretations. When this is the case, you can choose whatever interpretation you want to use.

We also craft our March challenge to integrate with other challenges and events (traditionally Back to Middle-earth Month!), so this is a good time for a reminder that our challenges can be combined with other events.

In order to receive a stamp for your fanwork, your response must be posted to the archive on or before 15 April 2024. For complete challenge guidelines, see the Challenges page on our website.

Thank you to Independence1776 for this month's lovely stamps and banner!

You can find the prompts on the It Comes in Threes challenge page.


Posted on 13 March 2024 (updated 18 April 2024) by SWG Moderators