Of Oaths, Common Sense, and a Silmaril by Aiwen

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Disclaimer: JRR Tolkien created Middle-earth and anything you recognise from here. I make no money from this, and am doing this for my and your enjoyment.

A/N: This starts shortly after Elwing receives Maedhros' demand for the Silmaril.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The third Kinslaying was a hideous self-inflicted wound for the elves of Beleriand. With a little common sense and pragmatism, could it have been averted? Or is that asking too much of all parties involved?

Major Characters: Celebrimbor, Círdan, Elwing, Enerdhil, Gil-galad, Maedhros, Maglor, Oropher, Pengolodh

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Alternate Universe

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings: Mature Themes

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 3 Word Count: 3, 211
Posted on 16 December 2014 Updated on 2 January 2015

This fanwork is complete.

Cirdan has an Idea

For the reader: What do you think the Feanorians will do?

Read Cirdan has an Idea

A/N: This starts shortly after Elwing receives Maedhros' demand for the Silmaril. The deciscion depicted here and in the following two chapters didn't produce this result, but imagine for a moment that it did:


Celebrimbor stood silently, leaning against a frame and trying to ignore the slight rocking motion that reminded him they were on a ship.

"We cannot give up the Silmaril," said Elwing again. "I will not do it, and all the Doriathrim are agreed on this."

"You're going to get all of us in Sirion killed," Pengolodh stated bluntly. "We can't possibly hope to fight off the Feanoriannath with what we've got here."

"Pengolodh is correct, this settlement simply isn't defensible," added Gil-galad. "If you will not give it up, then why not bring it to Balar?"

"Never!" cried Oropher.

So on the argument went. Celebrimbor's mind wandered back to the motion of the ship. He wished he'd stayed in Balar.

"Hold," said Cirdan, standing suddenly. "We have a means of solving this standing right here in this ship. Celebrimbor, stop hiding in the shadows."

Celebrimbor stepped forward, uncertain what would happen next but suspecting he wasn't going to like it.

"What's that bloody-handed kinslayer doing here?" screamed Oropher, jumping to his feet.

"Peace," said Gil-Galad. "I want to hear what Cirdan has to say."

"You would," grumbled Oropher, but Elwing put her hand on his arm.

"I want to hear Cirdan's suggestion too," she said, pushing him to sit back down.

Oropher sat, still scowling.

"Just so you know, I'm not a kinslayer," said Celebrimbor into the sudden quiet.

Cirdan spoke. "If Celebrimbor comes to live in Sirion, and holds the Silmaril, then the sons of Feanor would likely hold their oath fulfilled and have no reason to attack, since he, too, is a descendant of Feanor. As he has just pointed out, he is not guilty of either that blasted oath or kinslaying, so you aren't handing the stone to a criminal. And you'd still get to have the Silmaril's positive effects on your settlement."

"Do you really think that would work?" asked Elwing.

"It might," said Cirdan.

"I like this idea," said Gil-galad. "Even should Maedhros prove obdurate, it will give you more time for Earendil to return while you negotiate with Maedhros."

"And I suppose he'll be slightly less inclined to attack knowing their nephew is stuck in the middle of this." said Elwing.

"A hostage," said Oropher, a smile flickering around his lips.

Celebrimbor glared at him.

"But that doesn't mean he's the kind of hostage you can harm if Maedhros does something you don't like, or you'll have me to deal with me as well as Maedhros." said Gil-galad.

Elwing nodded. "So long as both Celebrimbor and the Silmaril stay within the settlement at all times, I am willing."

"It looks like we have an agreement, then," said Gil-galad, smiling. "Thank you, Cirdan, for that suggestion."

"Don't I get a say in this?" asked Celebrimbor. He'd love to get a close look at the Nauglamir, let alone one of the Silmarils, but he'd worked so hard to avoid getting entangled in the House of Feanor's blood-stained messes. He didn't much fancy the idea of being a hostage, either.

"Given the stakes, do you really want to refuse?" asked Gil-galad.

Celebrimbor hesitated, then sighed. If he actually had a chance to prevent his uncles further damning themselves… "I guess I had better ask Arnil to move all my equipment to Sirion," At least he wouldn't be sailing back to Balar any time soon, and he could get off this blasted ship.


Two days and many miles distant, Maedhros frowned at the letter he'd just received, his mind racing. Maglor, however, wore an expression of unutterable relief.

Celebrimbor at the Havens

A/N: This was supposed to be a quick little one-shot. So much for that idea. I had Celebrimbor use Quenya names in the oath because those are the original form of his names.

Read Celebrimbor at the Havens

Celebrimbor followed along behind Elwing as darkness fell over the Havens of Sirion. He didn't feel very safe now that Gil-galad and the others were out of sight, even with Nardil, the guard Gil-galad had assigned him. The people here had too many reasons to hate him, and he couldn't guarantee someone wouldn't try to settle old scores related to something or other Curufin had done in the fall of Doriath that he'd never even heard of. And if the Gondolindrim had less reason to hate him, they had none to love him either.

"Where are we going?" he asked again.

"Enerdhil's house," said Pengolodh. "He's the senior Smith here, so you'll have something in common."

"Enerdhil… was he one of Turgon's jewelsmiths?"

"Ah, you've heard of him."

"Yes, my father always spoke well of his work."

"A word to the wise," said Pengolodh. "Don't mention your father around here."

"That will be a little difficult when my kin's misdeeds are the reason I've been ever-so-cordially requested and required to relocate here!"

Elwing stopped. "Celebrimbor. Your kin directly made half the people here refugees, killed my kin, and are now threatening to kill everyone here. Your lineage is stamped on your face and you've only got one guard with you, so for the Valar's sake use the brain you were born with and keep your mouth shut!" She started walking again and they followed in silence through the streets for the next few minutes.

"Ah, we're nearly there," said Pengolodh in a determinedly-pleasant voice.

Pengolodh knocked on the door, which was opened in a minute or so by a rather tired-looking Noldo with the light of Aman in his eyes. "Pengolodh, good to- Lady Elwing! Do come in. What brings you here… Curufin?!"

"No, I'm Celebrimbor."

"Oh," said Enerdhil.

"It's a long story," said Elwing, "but he's helping us, and they need a place to stay." She gestured at the two Balar Noldor.

"Yes, right. You're welcome to stay here for now." They all trooped in.

Enerdhil closed the door behind them and turned to Elwing. "What is going on? Do people know he's helping you, or am I going to have a mob on my doorstep tomorrow?"

"He's helping all of us because he's going to be fulfilling Feanor's oath by holding the Silmaril, here, for us, so those murderers don't try to kill us all. I'll be handing it to him to guard in public tomorrow morning."

"Who cooked that one up?" demanded Enerdhil.

"Lord Cirdan. Gil-galad's loaning Celebrimbor to us, but if anything happens to him we're all in trouble."

"Probably with Maedhros too, I should imagine. Are you still speaking to the rest of your family?"

"Not since…" Celebrimbor eyed Elwing uneasily.

"Ah." said Enerdhil.

"I understand you gained some new followers shortly after that," said Elwing, crossing her arms.

"A lot of people didn't agree with the brothers' actions, but still felt bound to the House of Feanor. They saw me as the non-crazy Feanorian. Gil-galad didn't want them running around loose, so I took them on."

"Is Maedhros mad?" asked Elwing.

"I don't know."

Shortly after, Elwing and Pengolodh excused themselves, leaving Celebrimbor and Nardil alone with Enerdhil.


The next morning dawned bright and fair, and a crier came down the street announcing a public meeting about a solution to the Feanorian problem. Soon after, Celebrimbor, Nardil, Enerdhil, Enerdhil's daughter Mirwen and apprentice Mirtir all trooped down the street to the square, with Celebrimbor wrapped in a nondescript old cloak of Enerdhil's. The hem was a bit short, but it was better than someone recognising the star on his own.

The square was half full of people already. Elwing spotted Nardil's blue-and-whites and gestured them over to stand nearby. They did, and people frowned and muttered at their presence. Finally, Elwing raised her hand for silence, little gleams escaping her cloak that sent a thrill of near-forgotten wonder down Celebrimbor's spine.

"As you know, last night I and others among you took council with Lord Cirdan and the Noldor High King as to how to respond to Maedhros' demand for the Silmaril. After much discussion, an intriguing idea was proposed which has the potential to keep Maedhros away from us while allowing us to keep our Silmaril here, where it belongs."

"You see, not all of those descended from Feanor are kinslayers," she waited for the murmurs to subside. "Celebrimbor son of Curufin renounced his father's deeds and separated from his family before the Feanorians ever came to Doriath, and he was a small child during the First Kinslaying and the swearing of the Oath."

"But what about Finrod?" someone demanded. "And didn't he abandon Orodreth at Tumhalad?"

Not that again, thought Celebrimbor. If I were anyone else the questions would never be asked, let alone again and again! What do I have to do to get people to trust me?

"I doubt Gil-galad would tolerate having him in direct fealty if that were the case. But more importantly, he has agreed to live with us here in Sirion. With him the nominal keeper of the Silmaril, even the Feanoriannath will have no reason to attack us."

Chaos broke loose and it took some for things to calm down enough for people to speak one at a time. Then someone recognised Celebrimbor, and things got complicated again. Nardil pushed himself in between the hysterical woman yanking at Celebrimbor's cloak and held her as gently as he could manage away from his charge. Celebrimbor could have defended himself, but figured that would likely make things worse.

Oropher finally yanked the woman away by one arm. "Would all you fools STOP and THINK for a moment?" he demanded at a yell. "This elf's presence," he gestured with his free hand at Celebrimbor, "will let us outmaneouver the Feanorians. But only as long as he stays alive. You hurt or kill him and you don't just have Maedhros trying to kill you, you have Gil-galad as well."

"While Morgoth sits back and laughs," added Pengolodh.

"You don't have to marry him, you don't even have to talk to him. You just have to tolerate that he's here. If I can do it to save all our skins, why can't you?" He let go of the woman, who stepped away, massaging her arm silently. She turned and walked away.

After Oropher's startling endorsement, the crowd quieted. After some quiet discussion, Elwing demanded that Celebrimbor swear an oath to her. But not by Eru and the outer darkness, please!

"I should think that being known as Oathbreaker on this would be quite fatal enough without invoking anything of the kind." said Celebrimbor.

Celebrimbor went down on his knees. "I swear to keep the Silmaril within the bounds of the Havens of Sirion so long as I am its keeper and the Havens stand against Morgoth; to stay within the bounds of the Havens of Sirion; and to do no harm to any living here. I shall do these things until the lady Elwing release me or death take me. So say I, Telperinquar son of Curufinwe of the House of Feanaro."

Elwing drew out the Silmaril and Nauglamir from beneath her cloak. Celebrimbor's eyes went wide and his hands shook slightly as he took it from Elwing. The great jewel was slightly warm and it seems to sing with light within his mind, driving away the shadows of grief and long frustration with sheer awe. For the first time, he thought he might really begin to understand what drove his grandfather. The Silmaril was more alive than some people he'd met.

Nardil poked him. "Look away and for goodness sake stand up," he hissed.

Hastily, Celebrimbor did as instructed, still holding the Silmaril in one hand. He wasn't sure what to do with it; putting it on seemed presumptuous and sticking it in his belt pouch too cavalier. He put it on. He didn't want the Nauglamir to get scratched by the odds and ends in his pouch.


The next few days were much less eventful, and Celebrimbor found himself settling into a routine as Silmaril-keeper and colleague of Enerdhil. The Silmaril ended up spending a fair amount of time in the workshop being gone over with jeweller's loupe and assorted other instruments. After all, it wasn't every day either of them had the opportunity to play with a priceless magical artifact and work of art.

 

Maedhros' Response

Read Maedhros' Response

Then a group of three people bearing a truce banner and the banner of the house of Feanor arrived in Sirion. Celebrimbor watched from an upstairs window, leaning forward when he spotted Armiriel under the banner. That was promising; he didn't imagine Maglor would let Maedhros send her somewhere he was about to attack. It was a long time since he'd seen his cousin. Lindariel would be glad if he could report she was doing well.

Unfortunately, he was stuck indoors while the Feanorian delegation was here, and not allowed out from Nardil's watchful gaze even there. Three hours of fretful and distracted attempts at working later, Oropher and a couple of Elwing's guard arrived at the door, telling him to bring the Silmaril.

Celebrimbor and Nardil went with them to Elwing's house. The streets were oddly empty, with people peering at them out of windows as they passed.

Elwing's Great House was at the end of the street beyond the square. It was a nice place, with a garden running out towards the ocean that was carefully fenced to keep the twins out of trouble. They were running around out there now, chasing each other and squealing as a woman he didn't know watched them. The two stopped their game as the unknown Noldor came near and ran to the fence, identical small faces peering at them with interest.

The party turned and went into the house. They were shown into a large room on the upper story. Elwing stood before big windows looked out over the bay, but more importantly: "Cousin!" said Armiriel, coming towards him only to be stopped by Elwing's guards. "I'm not going to hurt him," she said in an aggrieved tone.

"Orders," said one of the guards.

"How's mother?" Armiriel asked.

"She is well enough, though not happy with Maglor," said Celebrimbor. "She has the workshop set up, though it produces as much in the way of shipboard fittings and furniture as musical instruments these days."

"Needs of the time," said Armiriel. "At least she gets to stay in one place. We're rarely in the same place from one month to the next."

"So I'd gathered."

"So, about the Silmaril… you do actually have it?"

"Yes, right here," said Celebrimbor, flapping his cloak so that light spilled out.

Armiriel's eyes widened. "You could at least show it to me properly," she scolded him. "I have to return saying that I've actually seen it with my own eyes, in your possession, and you unharmed and acting of your own free will."

"Sorry, I'm just not sure how people will react lately," said Celebrimbor, looking quickly to Elwing. She pursed her lips, but nodded. Celebrimbor removed his cloak and drew the Silmaril out from his tunic, allowing full view of the Silmaril and Nauglamir.

Armiriel stared, tears coming to her eyes. "You know, I'd never actually seen what all the fuss was about. It's even more beautiful than father sang, and I didn't think that was possible."

"I hadn't seen the Silmarils since I was a small child," said Celebrimbor.

"Just don't go like grandfather over it now you've got it, ok?" she said. "It's cost us far too much already. I'd hoped you were safely out of this mess even if the rest of us weren't!"

Celebrimbor nodded. "I'm hoping that I can prevent my uncles damning themselves even more than they already – Miri, are you saying that you killed someone?"

Everyone in the room tensed. Armiriel shook her head. "Not unless you count the odd orc. But I did make arrows by the score for the war in Doriath and I knew full well what they'd be used for." She winced at Celebrimbor's expression, not looking at Elwing. "I thought that after that we'd have the Silmaril and Maedhros would be ok again – I'm worried about him. I'm almost scared of him sometimes."

Celebrimbor sighed. "Yes, I'm doing this of my own free will. This has to stop somewhere, and it might as well be here."

She nodded. "I think so too. And so do they." She drew herself up: "As this Silmaril has been given into the hands of its rightful owners once more,"

"Rightful, my foot," Elwing muttered.

Fortunately Armiriel chose to ignore that. "the brothers Feanorion thank you, the Lady Elwing, and other leaders of this fine city. They wish you to know that you have their friendship and aid in time of need against Morgoth or other enemies. Call on us if you need help, and your cry will be answered. Maedhros regrets that we have been divided by fate in the past, but hopes that that sorry chapter of history may be closed forever. Celebrimbor," she turned to him. "Father says: I don't know how you managed this miracle, but thank you. Kindly answer your letters, please! Can you greet Lindariel for me and tell her I'm sorry?"

Celebrimbor blinked.

Elwing spoke. "Tell Maedhros that I am glad that the horror of a third Kinslaying has been avoided. I have no intention of calling on him for aid." She made a disgusted face.

"Against Morgoth, we're all going to have to stick together if we want to live," said Armiriel.

"Because that worked so well in the Nirnaith Arnoediad," said Elwing.

"Well, we didn't all stick together then, did we?" said Armiriel.

Celebrimbor facepalmed. "Can't we just agree not to kill each other, and in the event of an attack by Morgoth everyone pitches in to help get everyone to Balar alive?"

They both turned angry faces to him. "My people aren't going to share the same island as Maedhros under any circumstances," she said. "They'd kill him."

"They might try," said Armiriel. They stopped talking and glared at each other.

Celebrimbor wondered abruptly if this was how Gil-galad felt about him and Oropher. If so, he pitied him.

Armiriel looked away first. "We won't go to Balar," she said. "We'll probably go east, into the Taur im Duinath, if things get really bad. Maybe even the Blue Mountains if we truly get desperate."

Elwing nodded.

Armiriel shifted from foot to foot, then a smile flashed across her face. "Now can I hug my cousin before I leave?"

An unwilling smile graced Elwing's face for a moment before fading. "Yes, but the Silmaril stays here, with him."

"Understood," said Armiriel, and hugged Celebrimbor tightly. "Stay safe, and try not to do anything too stupid. No building a glider and crashing it into trees."

Celebrimbor sputtered, then laughed. "You too. No hunting wolves armed with a wooden sword and a flute."

"I was thirteen!" she said, looking affronted and letting go.

"and I was twenty-seven," said Celebrimbor.

Elwing gave a most unladylike snort.

Soon after, they all parted. "I think you just prevented a war," said Elwing as Celebrimbor stood in the doorway. "I and the others here will not forget it. If you need anything, or if someone starts harassing you, tell me."

"Thank you. I will." With that, Celebrimbor headed home.

This AU is Finis


Chapter End Notes

AN1: The Feanorian women finally turn up in a story. Meet Lindariel, Maglor's estranged wife, and their daughter Armiriel. Lindariel is north Sindar, and Maglor didn't tell her about the first Kinslaying before they married. She stayed with him anyway when he promised her he would never do such a thing again.

Then Doriath happened, and she walked out, going to Balar with a group of Feanorian dissidents who thought either Gil-galad or Celebrimbor sounded like an improvement over their current leadership. OC's, obviously, although Maglor was apparently married, which implies a wife...

AN2: So, crisis averted. But without the Silmaril, will the Valar send an army? Or will Morgoth get tired of waiting and send an army against Sirion? I can't help but think Earendil's reaction to an albatross landing on his ship carrying the Silmaril and turning into Celebrimbor might be rather different than to Elwing the Swan. I can't see Celebrimbor as a swan. If he has to be a seabird, he's definitely an albatross.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Maedhros mind is racing in about 10 different direction at once here: is it a ruse? would this actually fulfill the oath or does he have to go attack his nephew? is Celebrimbor all right or does he need to be rescued? Is Celebrimbor even there at all? Does Celebrimbor still count as a member of the family given that he renounced his father? Should Maedhros err on the side of trying to get the Silmaril? What will Morgoth do if this is for real? Err... what does Maedhros do with himself and his followers if this is for real?

It's a totally unexpected response that creates a completely different situation for him. There will be more of this story up in the next while, and the question of what Maedhros will do next will be answered.

I had temporarily forgotten that by this stage the whole magical artifact combo is cursed as well, if you believe in that sort of curse.

Celebrimbor had better watch out--although I really like the idea of Enerdhil and him poring over the thing with a jeweller's loupe.

Also, might the Sindar consider he was breaking Thingol's ban by using Quenya names in the oath? He doesn't seem to get a reaction on that, though.

Ah yes, the curse. I tend to think that holding an object that screams 'steal me!' at anyone who comes near it and 'keep me!' to anyone who owns it is quite curse enough. You'll notice it didn't burn Celebrimbor, though. I think the Silmaril rather likes him, not that this is an unalloyed good thing.

I don't think either Celebrimbor or Enerdhil had any likelihood of not playing with their new toy.

Thingol's Ban: I'd wondered about that, but I kind of see the original form of a name being like one's legal name, to be used in legal documents or binding oaths. Elwing can't really do anything about the language Celebrimbor was named in. So she'll just have to put up with that small deviation for now. But Celebrimbor had better remember to speak Sindarin the rest of the time if he doesn't want trouble.

You might be right about the Feanorians, but eventually they will have to produce some kind of organized response.

And yes, I see Celebrimbor spending the last century or so of the war of the jewels stuck in the middle of a very awkward situation. This story does place him even more in the middle of events, of course.

I really like writing Celebrimbor. I think a lot of myself ended up in the way I write him, especially the curiosity, idealism and being somewhat socially inept. Oddly enough, the depressive tendencies and pragmatism ended up with Gil-galad, not that you see much of him in this story. I'm glad you're enjoying it.