A Bridge in Dor-lomin by Himring

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Maedhros thinks that he's had time enough to get over his feelings for Fingon. It turns out that he has not. At first he's disappointed, then he makes a discovery.
Told from Fingon's point of view.

For Oshun, because I re-read her biography of Fingon and realized I'd left something out.

Major Characters: Fingon, Maedhros

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Romance, Slash/Femslash

Challenges:

Rating: Adult

Warnings: Expletive Language, Mature Themes, Sexual Content (Moderate)

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 3, 090
Posted on 7 March 2010 Updated on 7 March 2010

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

 

(Russandol=Maedhros; Findekano=Fingon, Findarato=Finrod Felagund)

 


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I am certainly excited that reading the Fingon bio prompted you to write another story in this series. I like this so very much. I'll have to admit that I haven't thought much yet about how Fingon spent his time in Dor-lomin. The use of the bridge building is lovely, in so many different ways. Particularly, Maedhros watching unseen and his considerations of Fingon at the sight. Another fascinating look into your canon of their story.

I am so glad you don't seem to have minded this piece being dedicated to you!In the earlier part of the series, I'd made Fingon get so upset by what went on in Alqualonde that, although he does not want to return to Tirion, he has no real interest in Middle-earth either and for a while just continues on out of loyalty to his father. Your bio reminded me that I'd basically shirked the issue that Fingon did very much want to go to Middle-earth in the first place. In the published Silmarillion, he seems to be motivated by ambition, an ambition that, as you point out, Tolkien apparently does not entirely disapprove of. (The Quenta Silmarillion quotation that you also cite seems to have a slightly different take on Fingon's attitude to power.)I guess it has always seemed to me to be a slightly odd moment to get ambitious when your grandfather has just been murdered and the local equivalent of the sun and moon have just been extinguished by evil forces. However, I can see the younger members of the house of Finwe getting frustrated earlier on, if the forceful personalities of their older relatives left them little scope to exercise their own talents. So was Fingon just looking for opportunities to be valiant? Surely not—he probably liked making plans and organizing people in general and was good at it. So that's what I try to show him doing here...

I'm doing it again! Responding to a response. Mind you mentioning me? I was incredibly flattered.

I do think the canon texts amply back up the fact that there had to have been something lacking for the ambititous among the Noldor in Valinor. Feanor could not have attracted 90 percent of his people (including a good number who were not crazy about him) to follow him otherwise. I see a distinction between Eru's plans for the Firstborn and Valar's paternalism in bringing them to Valinor.

So was Fingon just looking for opportunities to be valiant? Surely not—he probably liked making plans and organizing people in general and was good at it. So that's what I try to show him doing here...

I see your point here as well. He might have felt like a trumped up courtier in Valinor, while in Middle-earth he would have felt useful and challenged. Of course, you already know that I interpret virtually all of the House of Finwe as being highly motivated.

OK, I've finished reading the series (will there be more chapters? I sincerely hope there will be!), I've dried the tears for M&M and Fingon when I thought that I had cried them all years ago, and really want to congratulate you on the marvel that these stories are. The changing points of view, the language that you use and the choice of episodes that you make are outstanding. When Oshun's wonderful stories make you think that maybe this time things might work out, your stories remind us that they never stood a chance and yet they couldn't help trying. A truly marvelous, moving, fresh take on the Silm. (going to get some more tissues)

 

Thank you very much for reading the whole series! I've just added a bit more to it, some slighter bits and pieces and a fairly substantial chapter on Maedhros and Uldor. As you are an experienced reader of Silm fanfiction, I'm really pleased that you think I found something fresh to say. I'm feeling a bit guilty about the tissues, though. On the other hand, I've cried a fair bit about M&M and Fingon myself and I guess it shows...