Eminently Unsuitable by Himring

Fanwork Information

Summary:

It is reported in the Silmarillion that when Finrod Felagund first met the people of Beor, he had been hunting with Maedhros and Maglor, but had parted from them because he was “wearied of the chase”. According to this story, that was the official explanation given out for his abrupt departure but what in fact had happened was that he had a conversation with Maedhros that first surprised, and then upset him...

 

The “eminently unsuitable” person of the title is Fingon, of course, but as the story is told from Finrod’s point of view, this is not explicitly stated anywhere.

 

This story has been nominated for the MEFAs 2010 by Hallbera. Thank you very much!

Major Characters: Finrod Felagund, Maedhros, Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General, Romance, Slash/Femslash

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Mature Themes

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 2, 313
Posted on 2 April 2010 Updated on 2 April 2010

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

 

(Names: Russandol=Maedhros, Macalaure=Maglor, Feanaro (Atar)=Feanor, Findarato=Finrod)


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


<<‘Eminently unsuitable’, I hear him saying, joyously, as he  transforms  a denial of intent, a prissy expression of disapproval from inside out, until it becomes a paean of praise, a hymn of dedication and devotion.>>

Another lovely story! Exceptionally moving and well put together. I loved Maedhros (as I always do in your stories) and really appreciated your portrayal of Finrod as well. Thanks so much for sharing.

Umm.. You've laid your finger on a bit of a sore spot here. I would, of course, like Maglor's harp to be the one that Finrod later plays to Beor's people, but at least according to the published Silmarillion it can't be, because the harp that Finrod ends up playing belongs to Beor. I haven't checked whether there are any versions of the story in HoME where that isn't the case, but it seems a bit too much to hope for... Anyway, once I'd realized, I sort of discussed things with Maglor, and Maglor said: "I don't care, I'm giving him the harp anyway...", so that was that! (But I must admit I'm rather puzzled, too, why Fingon felt he needed to take a harp with him on the journey to Angband!)

I finally read this after wondering for by far too long about why exacly Noldorin princes seem to insist on hauling harps into danegrous or at least unexpected situations. Well, a portable one. That sort of explains it. Though sadly, my imagination deforms Maglor's probably beautiful Noldorin model into something like this horrible carton harp: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_mPYUsEiAiXo/S-oHq_xW_QI/AAAAAAAAABg/I8o4JBdiHX0/s1600/harpkitcolor.jpg
I liked how it was from Finrod's POV ( his confusion was rather adorable really), and how you wove his own fall into it. Also Maedhros' tendency to make soothing noises when people are upset. Great characterizations. 
I had to laugh at "He thanked us both politely and dreamily went on fine-tuning the strings, endlessly looking for the absolutely perfect pitch, it seemed.  With an instrument such as the fiddle, this would surely have earned him a brutal assassination within the shortest period of time, but if you play the harp, you can get away with such things."because it's true. I always feel slightly guilty when tuning my instrument near innocent non-musician bystanders because they inadvertedly go wide eyed and "ooh! aaah!"when I'm actually making a horrible racket.