A Bit of a Bore by Himring

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Boredom, like beauty, may be in the eye of the beholder

Maedhros receives a series of messengers from Fingon.

Warnings: gratuituous mention of missing socks and burnt porridge.

This story has been nominated for the MEFAs 2010 by Lyra. Thank you very much!

Major Characters: Fingon, Maedhros, Original Character(s)

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General, Romance, Slash/Femslash

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 059
Posted on 17 April 2010 Updated on 17 April 2010

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

 

The time at which this is set might be a little after the Dagor Aglareb. In any case, in the series it comes between "Cabbages" (Maedhros leaves Mithrim for East Beleriand) and "Bridge" (Maedhros visits Dor-lomin at the time of the completion of Nargothrond).

(Names as elsewhere: The messengers are speaking Sindarin and using the name form Fingon, Maedhros is thinking in Quenya, so Fingon=Findekano).

 


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I enjoyed this very much. Several lines particularly struck me: "it seems, is who they now expect Maedhros to be: a bad friend, a good ally." I chuckled at this, because not only does this push your storyline and characterization of Maedhros forward, but it also might be a description of what certain fanfic writers not overly sympathetic to Maedhros, but who understand the texts fairly well, might expect. A lovely counter to that negative attitude.

"I can handle being Maedhros the Ever-Vigilant. For some reason, it seems to work better than being Maedhros the Permanently-Afraid, in spite of their boiling down to pretty much the same thing."

I also like Maedhros's voice here. Very nice.

 

Thank you very much! I'm very happy that you like my Sinda messenger. Sindar are said to feel uneasy about the eyes of the Noldor because the light of Aman is reflected in them, but I was wondering whether there might not be a cultural difference between Noldor and Sindar involved as well. After all, it's the sort of issue that is affected by different notions of politeness among humans.