A Copper Band by Himring

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The copper circlet that Maedhros wore in Valinor had been made by Curufin.  After their arrival in East Beleriand, Curufin offers to replace the lost circlet by a new one. The ‘copper band’ is also Maedhros himself, trying to tie people together with varying success.

From the viewpoint of Curufin, because in previous stories I’d basically written him off as ‘hard to read’. He and Maedhros agree to disagree about the abdication business.

With a brief glimpse of Celebrimbor and some foreshadowing of later events.

This story has been nominated for the MEFAs 2010 by Hallbera. Thank you very much!

Major Characters: Curufin, Maedhros

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 2, 425
Posted on 30 April 2010 Updated on 30 April 2010

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

 

(Names: Curvo=Curufin, Tyelpo=Celebrimbor, Nelyo=Maedhros, Tyelko=Celegorm, Macalaure=Maglor, Carnistir=Caranthir, Nolofinwe=Fingolfin, Findarato=Finrod; Atar=Curufin or Feanor, depending on whether Celebrimbor or Curufin is speaking)

There are a number of competing explanations for Maedhros's Sindarin name. As far as this story is concerned, the name is made up out of the first two syllables of two of Maedhros's Quenya names, Maitimo and Russandol, tacked together and Sindarinized in sound without regard to meaning. That is why Curufin describes the name as 'chopped-up'.

 


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I'm always surprised when I come across a fic that amazes me and find that no one else sees fit to express the same.

The thing I love most about this is Curvo. He's my favorite brother because of his complexity. I don't believe he's a blood-thirsty monster, but I don't think he'd win the nice guy of Beleriand award either. You've hit that balance nicely. (And I love, "Marry his daughter?" with a shrug. Foreshadowing...)

The other thing I adore is Curvo's relationship with Nelyo. Since reading one of Dawn's shorter pieces about Nelyo's reaction to Fëanáro naming Curvo after himself (name escapes me), I've been fascinated by their (awkward) dynamic, and I particularly enjoyed seeing the glimpse into their past.

I am doubly intrigued by the end notes. I've always thought Nelyo's response was designed to defuse Noldorin tempers and didn't realize there were people who thought it was meant to annoy Sindar (I am so Noldorin-biased I shouldn't even try to deal with them. Thingol suffers mightily by my pen...). It's an interesting concept.

The other thing needling at me is the concept of 'Maedhros' circlet'. Namely, he had one? And where did I miss it?

Your Tyelpo=win, by the way. He's such a... teenager.

Thanks for sharing this.

What a lovely review! Thank you very much for taking the time to write it! (I liked your "In the Dark" story about Curvo a lot, but I'm afraid I wasn't reviewing when I read it.) This is a very Maedhros-centred (not to say Maedhros-obsessed) series, so I'm very glad that you think the relationship between the two brothers convincing. Yes, I was thinking of Dawn's story Essecarme, too, and also of Dawn's story Paper (although I've done things a bit differently here). Other aspects of Curvo are only just touched on here, I feel, but I'm happy the character as a whole seems to work for you. As for the council scene and Nelyo's comment on Thingol, the only actual treatment of that council scene in fanon that I seem to remember having come across at the moment is a cartoon by 7hot-Feanorians (aka Lady Celebroch of Lindon) on Deviant Art, which has a completely different angle (hilarious, by the way), but I felt sure that anyone of the school who believes that Maedhros is cold and uncaring and that the Feanorians always utterly despised the Sindar anyway would read that council scene as evidence for their case. Good to read that you don't think my interpretation is as AU as I thought it might be considered. As for the copper circlet that Maedhros wore, others would be able to answer this more confidently than I, but as far as I know, it is not mentioned in the published Silmarillion and occurs only once in HoME, in the Shibboleth of Feanor, so it has about as much authority as Fingon's gold-threaded braids. I suspect that, as far as Tolkien is concerned, it's etymological overkill, really; that is, he's called Russandol=Copper-Top not only because he had red/redbrown/brown hair with copper highlights, depending on which source you're looking at, but also because he wore a copper circlet. But I don't remember whether the Shibboleth itself actually says this.