Dwarvish Thinking by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

As per series, Maedhros/Fingon slash (unrequited, at this point in the story arc, but not very much so).

Added Mature Themes warning for some tangential comments by Maedhros on Orcs.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Maedhros negotiates with Azaghal and accepts his offer of a dragon-proof helmet for Fingon. Fingon turns out to be less than enthusiastic about Maedhros's gift.

My take on the early history of the Dragon Helm of Dor-lomin.

Now added: Bonus drabble: A Matter of Helmets (Maedhros & Azaghal, gen)

 

Major Characters: Azaghâl, Fingon, Maedhros

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Fixed-Length Ficlet, General

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Mature Themes

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 2 Word Count: 2, 061
Posted on 19 June 2010 Updated on 15 November 2014

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

(Names: Carnistir=Caranthir, Feanaro=Feanor, Findekano=Fingon, Russandol=Maedhros, Tyelkormo=Celegorm)

Some time later, Maedhros and Azaghal discuss helmets in general and one in particular.

Drabble written for Oshun on reading her new bio of Azaghal (Azaghâl) in the Silmarillion Writers Guild newsletter for November 2014.
Also inspired by the portrait of Maedhros and Azaghal by daLomacchi and another one by megatruh.

 


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I enjoyed this one very much. I love to speculate about the history of the Dragon Helm of Dor-lomin. Thanks for the links also. I recall Finch's story, but I read it ages ago--I think I will re-visit. There is another one somewhere, pretty old I think, that I am now tempted to try to find. It ia something about Fingon being sentimentally attached to the helm and Fingolin tricking him into giving it away.

I'm very glad you liked it! Actually, Fingolfin tricking Fingon into giving the helm away is what happens in Finch's story (although maybe there is another similar story out there, too?). Fingon's reactions to the helm are mixed in that story: he is both spooked by the reminder of Glaurung and attached to it, because it's Maedhros's gift. Fingolfin in that story, of course, strongly disapproves of the relationship and tricks him into giving it away for precisely that reason.