A Gift of Words by grey_gazania

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Thanks to Pandë and the Lizard Council for nitpicking.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

In pre-Darkening Tirion, a bookish young girl receives a significant gift.

Major Characters: Original Character(s), Unnamed Female Canon Character(s)

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges:

Rating: Creator Chooses Not to Rate

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 274
Posted on 1 December 2011 Updated on 1 June 2022

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This is such a charming vignette, gg!  Maryë is an engaging child, precocious and curious.  The glimpses into everyday life in Tirion, that is, of the Elves of the working class, are very cool, and you've used details to good effect here.   Poldo, Elenë, and Maryë comprise a warm family, and I look forward to reading more about them.

Finally, I can so relate to being excited about a dictionary!  Our old dictionary in my childhood home thoroughly engrossed me.

My parents gave me the condensed OED for Christmas one year and I just about collapsed from glee. As much as I love having access to the full OED online (thank you, uni!), there's something about a print dictionary and the way it lets you stumble over words that the online version lacks.