Surrender after the War of Wrath by Uvatha the Horseman

Fanwork Information

Summary:

This story explores Sauron's motives for surrendering after the War of Wrath, and for failing to show up for trial. It also explores Eönwë's, for letting him.

Major Characters: Eönwë, Sauron

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 6 Word Count: 3, 890
Posted on 29 January 2012 Updated on 29 January 2012

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

The Host of Melkor is eager to confront the Host of the Valar.

The War of Wrath does not go as planned.

Sauron tries to evade the Hunters of Orome after Melkor meet his end.

Tired of running, Sauron approached the encampment of the Valar.

Sauron askes Eönwë for pardon, and is released on his own recognizance.

Sauron means to return to Valinor and stand trial, but keeps putting it off.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Entertaining foray into Sauron's motives.  Prideful procrastination is an interpretation of his failure to appear in Valinor which I hadn't run into before, but it's feasible.  I think we've all felt this way about putting off some well-intended task or other:

"Eventually, he’d delayed so long, it started to be embarrassing."

 

(Actually, I can think of a couple on my own list, though none so grand as putting off the judgment of the gods...)

Cheers!

- Huin

Thanks! I have so many things of my own I truly meant to do and didn't quite get to, it seemed plausible. Especially if you believe Tolkien when he says 'His repentence was sincere, at least initially.' And I've never seen Sauron as lacking courage, so I didn't think it was a failure of nerve.

Thanks for your review! Reviews motivate me to write more stories.

Uvatha