Immortality by wind rider

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Title: Immortality
Author: Eärillë

 

Number: B15
Challenges:
1. Deep Thoughts: Immortality
2. Geography of The Silmarillion: Nargothrond

 

Summary:
Was the view on life and death different between the Firstborn and Secondborn? What did the Firstborn think of Eru’s “gift” to the Secondborn? – Deep in Nargothrond, a particular Elf was wrestling with these questions and more upon the death of his first Mannish friend.

 

Rating: G
Warnings: (canon) character death, first draft

 

Characters: Balan (Bëor), Finrod
Genres: Character Study, Friendship, Mystery
Place: Nargothrond: Finrod’s quarters
Timeline: First Age: Balan’s death
Word Count (in MS Word): 368

 

Notes: The Man was not named “Bëor” here because Bëor is rather a title, not a proper name. The author did not research deeply about the man’s direct bloodline, so she would apologise to her readers for the mistaken names of his sons. (She only knows that Belen is truly Balan’s third son.) The story is inspired by Philosopher at Large’s works, so the tone might be similar to it on some points.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Was the view on life and death different between the Firstborn and Secondborn? What did the Firstborn think of Eru’s “gift” to the Secondborn? – Deep in Nargothrond, a particular Elf was wrestling with these questions and more upon the death of his first Mannish friend.

Major Characters: Balan, Finrod Felagund

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Experimental

Challenges: B2MeM 2012

Rating: General

Warnings: Character Death

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 382
Posted on 25 March 2012 Updated on 25 March 2012

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Ooh, this is really good! I like the ending:

"The grey eyes looking at him were compassionate. “We are immortal, Lord, truly.”

And then they went blank, and Balan breathed his last, still smiling."

I like that you don't add Finrod's reaction to that. I can't really articulate why, but it seemed like a really strong ending because it leaves you wondering, and wanting more...kind of like Finrod must be feeling, I guess.

The way you show the friendship between them is great, too. Even though he's the one dying, Balan is comforting and steadying Finrod, who in turn is trying to keep his composure for his friend's sake. It's really touching, but also a bit heart-wrenching and even kind of chilling, I think. Though, I maybe have a weird perspective...

Anyway, I really liked this story!