The Walls Will Serve by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for Gwailome's birthday.

With thanks to Oshun and Dreamflower for the inspiration!

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A series of three vignettes, set beside the springs of Little Gelion below Himring Hill:
i. Maedhros decides to build a fortress on Himring Hill (Maedhros, original characters)
ii. After the Dagor Bragollach, Maedhros shows Himring to his cousin (Maedhros/Fingon)
iii. In the Second Age, Elrond visits Tol Himling (Elrond, Arminas, Erestor)

 

Major Characters: Arminas, Elrond, Erestor, Fingon, Maedhros

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: Gift of a Story

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Mature Themes

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 3 Word Count: 2, 368
Posted on 11 January 2013 Updated on 11 January 2013

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Maedhros decides to build a fortress on Himring Hill.

After the Dagor Bragollach, Maedhros shows Himring to his cousin.

In the Second Age, Elrond visits Tol Himling.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


As usual you have reduced me to tears- this is perfect. How you manage to write such sublime prose I cannot imagine- that the small glimpses of life speak so hugely of Maedhros and hsi tragic and heroic life. I think the last part really pulled my heart strings- so much glory, so much courage and now no one speaks of them for shame. But Elrond remembers.

This is fascinating. The mix of Maedhros' Noldorin sensibilities and their Sinda guide's somewhat different attitude, him resolving to look at it as Findekano would, and the idea that even though he's no longer a prisoner, Maedhros is more vulnerable than most to Morgoth's power... (Am I reading into it, or was that also a dash of very subtle Ulmo in there, when the water restored him to himself?)

Thank you very much!

Glad that these ideas appealed to you! Some of these themes return in different form elsewhere in my stories.

As far as I remember, I wasn't consciously involving Ulmo personally here, although I've written about his canonical influence through Sirion elsewhere. But I do tend to feel somewhat like Tolkien's elves about running water anyway, and this fic in particular also alludes to "A river runs through it", in which the role of water also seems rather Ulmo-esque... There is also meant to be a hint that Gelion is a person, at least to the Sindar.