Maglor Plays For His People After Doriath by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

If you've read other stories in this cycle you may perhaps know this already, but if you don't, the following may make things easier to understand:

In this story cycle, the Feanorians did not retreat to Amon Ereb until after they had spent weeks on the outskirts of Doriath waiting for Maedhros to return for his search for Dior's sons. Also they made Amon Ereb their main base at this time because they feared the retribution of the Green Elves, if they returned to the woods--before that it had been held by Caranthir and his followers.

 

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The Feanorians have retreated to Amon Ereb after the Fall of Doriath. The first night after their arrival, they assemble in the hall, waiting for Maglor to play for them.

Includes a flashback to Maglor's encounter with Daeron at the Mereth Aderthad.

Major Characters: Daeron, Fingon, Maedhros, Maglor, Original Character(s)

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Mature Themes

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 3 Word Count: 2, 382
Posted on 31 August 2013 Updated on 31 August 2013

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


And already I'm choking up. I'm loving Maglor's importance as storyteller and, it seems, as someone his people rely on to provide a sense of identity:

"Explain things to us, Makalaure. Tell us what we did. Tell us who we are, now."

That would be heartbreaking in any sort of circumstance, but even more so considering what the Fëanorians just went through, and that Maglor seems (at least temporarily) at a loss to provide for them. Very bleak, but a very promising start.

Wow, I really enjoyed this. (I am reading your SoWD stories, trying to choose one to work with for your prize--what a difficult decision it is proving to be, to choose between them! :) I like the idea that Maglor, the bard, is the one who makes sense of the clutter of history to the rest of them, who extracts meaning from otherwise senseless events. I have spent the past few hours working on a paper about the Ainulindale and Tolkien's concept of subcreation, so this is really tickling my muses right now ...

Thank you very much, Dawn! I'm excited to hear that this story of mine is tickling your muses!

We always rely on the stories we construct for ourselves, but the more desperate the situation, the more I think the Feanorians would come to rely on Maglor in this way.

I had been carrying most of this story in my head for quite a while, but as I was finishing it I also had some of your recent comments on the Heretic Loremaster site about characterization in mind.

I hope the paper on the Ainulindale  is going well!

 

Thank you!

I've encountered stories in which Maglor is upset because Daeron is canonically better than he is and others (slash) in which Daeron and Maglor become lovers.

But I prefer to see it this way--simply musicians who have a subject in common they are passionately interested in, but are divided by history and politics.