The Scion of Kings by Tehta

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Gil-galad was the scion of kings, 
Of him the flighty Tehta sings.

Tolkien seems to have found figuring out Gil-Galad's paternity particularly difficult. Who was Gil-Galad's father, really? Was it Fingon? Finrod? Orodreth? (Which Orodreth?) Cirdan? It is an interesting question, and one this fic completely fails to answer. It does, however, answer the question of who his mother was. Anyway. Warning for, um, authorial self-insertion.

Major Characters: Gil-galad

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Humor

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 300
Posted on 29 September 2013 Updated on 29 September 2013

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


OMG! I read this years ago and, unlike most of my stories, it has actually improved with age. (Or maybe I am not as serious and earnest about it all as I was once upon a time and was able to enjoy it more.)

I love the subtle characterizations. I have never been a huge Orodreth fan. Tolkien just do not set him up very well and Christopher Tolkien did not help.

Orodreth, promised to provide all the dwarvish ale she wanted, as well as to handle all the post-party clean-up. It was very thoughtful of him, Suethien thought, and also rather clever, for she certainly would never have invited him had he not been the host. He was only a minor lord, after all, and she wanted the best!

And this one!

Fingon and Maedhros the Tall came (and left) together.

Which minimizes but does not completely eliminate the possibility that one of them is the father.