The Quick and the Dead by Tehta

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Months have passed since the Nirnaeth, but Glorfindel and Ecthelion are not quite over it yet.

Contains dark themes, humour, and slash, mixed together pretty evenly, I hope.

Major Characters: Ecthelion of the Fountain, Glorfindel

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Humor, Slash/Femslash

Challenges:

Rating: Adult

Warnings: Sexual Content (Moderate)

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 4, 773
Posted on 7 November 2013 Updated on 5 April 2024

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Author's notes:
0. As always, I welcome all forms of feedback, and cherish constructive criticism. And I want to thank Maggie, Claudio, and of course Lenine for their beta help, and Dwimordene for extensive comments. This fic was a birthday present for my longterm beta Eveiya. Hi, Eveiya!
1. One general comment that seems worth making is that the Elves of Gondolin were relatively inexperienced at dealing with battle. At best, they would have fought in one right after getting off the ice (as one version has it) and then participated in some minor skirmishes: they sealed themselves off before any other battles took place. They must have trained as warriors, else they would not have been as good as they clearly were, but surely no training would have prepared them for the aftermath of an utter rout.
2. The "Telerin custom" of cutting one's hair in grief is not from canon. It just made sense to me as an Elven custom, and it is/was done in some human cultures (e.g. Ancient Egypt.) Also, I enjoy being mean to Glorfindel: first I give him a closet case boyfriend, and then, I take away the hair... what is next, I wonder?


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


"Besides, he was not interested in proving his point, not as long as even thinking about thinking about the battle made him cold and shivery inside."

That line was such a great description! I usually have a hard time connecting to abstract ideas (like feelings, haha) but that got the point accross perfectly.

Overall a great story also. I think your point about the Gondolin warriors having little experience with real battle (much less all out warfare) was very acurate, and I like how this explores the effects of that on the residents of the city. I also like the different ways Glorfindel and Ecthelion react and process.