The Return of the Balrog-Slayer by Tehta

| | |

Fanwork Notes

0. The story presented here does not actually contradict canon, at least not any more than canon already contradicts itself: Tolkien never said Glorfindel was the only re-embodied Elf to go to Valinor, and even used the phrase, “possibly as one of a small party.” (In the first essay on Glorfindel, where he also wondered whether the Galdor at the council in Rivendell might have been Galdor-of-Gondolin, but dismissed the idea as the former Galdor was written as too stupid -- still, that establishes the possibility of multiple Lord of Gondolin.) Moreover, most arguments for why Glorfindel was chosen work just as well for Ecthelion. Oh, and I have clearly gone more with the second essay, where Glorfindel goes over in the Second Age, by ship, with the Blue Wizards.
1. Laurefindil is Glorfindel’s Quenya name, according to the Parma Eldalamberon.
2. Alatar and Pallando are the previously-mentioned Blue Wizards, originally Maiar of Orome.
3. I am extremely inexpert in both Quenya and Sindarin, so making up names fills me with the deepest unease. Anyway, here we have Loswë, who sort of matches Elenwë (who is her cousin, in this headcanon), and who echoes the name of Glorfindel’s “house in Nolorissa”, Los’lorial. I don’t like it, but how long can one spend fussing over a name? If one is not Tolkien, that is.
4. The Festival of Winds is, of course, made up by me, but Elves did seem to have many festivals, and some sort of kite-flying competition seems like a fitting way to honour Manwe.
5. Ecthelion’s pimped-out silver-and-crystal armour is mentioned in several places. His white horse shows up in The Coming of Tuor to Gondolin.
6. The overall blame for this ficlet goes to Zeen’s Resurrection Ficathon, which had a prompt about Glorfindel’s return to Middle-earth being complicated by someone he has to leave behind. I misremembered this prompt, and then started thinking about how I really didn’t want to do the usual “Oh I must leave these shores, Ecthelion, but you’re reluctant/stuck in the Halls” sort of thing. Here is the result.
7. I would like to thank Lenine, Wulfila, Zeen, Eveiya, and Uli for their comments!

Fanwork Information

Summary:

So, how did Glorfindel of Gondolin make his (posthumous) way to Middle-earth in order to become Glorfindel of Rivendell? The relevant canon is full of uncertainties and contradictions.

I like to think it might have happened as follows...

Major Characters: Ecthelion of the Fountain, Glorfindel

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre:

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 3, 347
Posted on 16 December 2013 Updated on 16 December 2013

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I love how uncertain and insecure Ecthelion is; especially thinking that letter might have been "inappropriately intimate!" 

I like Loswe; I like her guilty reasoning for reading Glorfindel's letter, and especially her unflinching and unhesitating support of her son and his decisions, even if they make her sad. 

And Glorfindel! He watched Ecthelion read the letter through a hole in the wall? Haha! I can see why Loswe was concerned about him being listless...it's not his natural state, huh?

Anyway, this was a pleasure to read!

 

Thank you so much, again!

I like Loswe too, which is good, as OCs scare me. But I think she makes sense as my Glorfindel's mother. And yes, he is not a very passive person, in general.

As for Ecthelion... there is insecurity there, for sure (well, Glorfindel has been alive now for longer than the two of them were ever together, so who knows what he has been up to, plus he has not replied to the letter) but he is also being deliberately careful, in that letter, to spare them both potential embarassment by phrasing things in such a way that they can both pretend he was talking only about friendship...

 

Author's Response:

Thank you so much, again!

I like Loswe too, which is good, as OCs scare me. But I think she makes sense as my Glorfindel's mother. And yes, he is not a very passive person, in general.

As for Ecthelion... there is insecurity there, for sure (well, Glorfindel has been alive now for longer than the two of them were ever together, so who knows what he has been up to, plus he has not replied to the letter) but he is also being deliberately careful, in that letter, to spare them both potential embarassment by phrasing things in such a way that they can both pretend he was talking only about friendship...