Eka and the Quen by Dawn Felagund

| | |

Fanwork Notes

There is a very brief allusion to sexual child abuse in this story.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

In a post-apocalyptic world where only scraps of humankind survive, Eka discovers the lingering fëa of an Elf and is able to imagine a very different world. Written as a treat for Tolkien Reverse Summer Bang, for the artwork "Courting of the Wood Nymph."

Major Characters: Elladan, Original Female Character(s)

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Experimental, Science Fiction

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Mature Themes

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 3, 483
Posted on 8 September 2018 Updated on 8 September 2018

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I like this very much.  The details of the ruined world are interesting. I love the evocation of the Elven love of earth.  The tension between Eka’s view of herself and other’s view is moving.  I like that the story’s end is so focused on one clear image, and yet is open-ended About what happens next.  

Thank you, Tomour! (And my apologies for taking so long to reply to your comment.) I very much wanted to leave the end open. What happens when she takes off that mask? I personally like to think that she survived, either in body or spirit form, but another reader pointed out that even if she didn't, it was likely better than her life in that world anyway.

I really appreciate you reading and commenting on my story! :)

I loved (and hated, and I mean this in the best way) this! You know it's effective when I am tempted to use the back button. ;) The dystopian world you are showing us here is terrible and the barest layer of civilisation can't hide human nature in catastrophes.OMG Eka's father getting her pregnant, but also the gruesome punishment??!!? D: D: I wanted to hide under my desk.

I feel sorry for Elladan that he has to see what has become of this world he chose to stay in, but I am glad for Eka that he found her and gave her something nice, even if she is barely able to understand what it is! I wonder if Eka will become a hero of her people, but in a way that doesn't hurt everyone else? And also, I am totally seeing Eka in the tree from my inktober pieces. <3

Horror is definitely a genre where saying, "It was awful!" can in fact be a compliment. :D I'm proud of you for making it through without resorting to that BACK button!

That's an interesting thought, about Eka becoming--and redefining--her people's understanding of a hero. Because I left the ending so open, it's been interesting to hear what different readers think happened after the story ends. I have to say I'm rooting for her to have a happy ending, as in a place in the world where she can help to heal the world. (Why am I suddenly hearing Michael Jackson and seeing that emoji that looks like the devil dressed up as MJ?! :D) So I love your vision of the ending!