Kinslayer by Russandol

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Thanks to my fellow lizards at the LC for the grooming.

 Kinslayer MEFA 2010 - 2nd Place Genre Humour: Parody or Black Humour

 

 

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Another kinslaying may have taken place in Aman, within the very gates of Ilmarin, the mansion of Manwë Súlimo and Varda Elentári at the peak of Taniquetil.

 

MEFA 2010 - Second Place - Genres: Humour: Parody or Black Humour

 

 

Major Characters: Manwë

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Humor

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Sexual Content (Mild)

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 2, 453
Posted on 7 May 2010 Updated on 7 May 2010

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I thoroughly enjoyed this.  Loved poor Namo's irritated discomforture at his "condition"  and Manwe's response. "Alluring endowments" indeed.  "‘I need you to kill me,’ pronounced the Lord of Mandos darkly." 

I especially enjoyed Varda's  interest in the proceedings.  Good grin material.

I thought I'd leave my MEFA review of this fic here.  Cheers!

Russandol not only writes stories of velvet darkness such as Chasing Mirages, but ones that display her wonderful sense of humor as well. I particularly enjoyed this one in which a disgruntled Námo shows up at the gates of Ilmarin to present Manwë with an unusual, er, problem. This story opens in a seemingly serious manner, much like a Monty Python Holy Grail sketch, in which a mysterious cloaked and hooded stranger arrives with a letter of introduction with inexplicably bad penmanship (ooh foreshadowing) from the Lord of Mandos, demanding to see the head dude. The impudence of the petitioner mightily pisses off Manwë, and from there the somber mood of the story begins to degenerate. [The room shook with his wrath, making Varda’s crystal bead lamps tinkle loudly. He was most proud of the humbling effect this trick usually had . . .]

As the story progresses, we discover the, er, source of Námo's trouble and his unorthodox proposal to cure it and begin to cackle along with Manwë. I enjoyed Námo's wrath at his minions and his creative punishments, Manwë's initial prodding of Námo's creation, and his horror at being asked to commit the unthinkable kinslaying, and Námo's whinging pleas. Varda's discovery of the exact nature of Námo's problem, and her subsequent desire to see her husband duplicate it, was entirely hoot-worthy. Plus any story that manages to work the word vië into it gets my vote. Thanks for the grin, Russandol.

This is a wonderful review, thank you, elfscribe! Your support at the MEFAs and outside them means a lot to me. This story was actually a most unexpected spin off from Mirages, a persistent, most annoying plot bunny. I could not think of anything else fanfic-wise until I wrote it to get if off my mind. I hope Námo has forgiven me, I've been dreading his revenge ever since I revealed his secret...

Great idea about copying MEFA reviews, by the way! I should do the same.

 

Ha ha, I loved reading this! Excellent writing, lovely sick humor, and it was quite impossible not to laugh at poor Námos predicament (likewise, it was impossible to stop imagining what he Manwë saw when he opened his cloak)! But Varda, hm... she has a peculiar taste, doesn't she? Lol!

Yes, Varda freaked me out a bit too, but there you go, the Ainur obviously have a different wiring in their brains. Funnily enough, the idea originated from my musings about Really Serious StuffTM like Elvish re-incarnation, when I was writing my current WIP. It went downhill from there.

Sick humour is a perfect description of Kinslayer, ask Namo and he will corroborate. But sometimes I am sane, I promise.

Thank you for reviewing!