Solitude by Erulisse

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Tolkien provided the sandbox, I only play in it with my own bucket and shovel. 

Fanwork Information

Summary:

It is written that Melkor was imprisoned in the depths of Mandos for Three Aeons after his capture in Middle Earth. Studies in modern times have proven that true solitary confinement leads to madness and that interaction with others is essential to mental stability and healing. Yet, Melkor sat isolated and alone - was he already insane, or did his extreme solitude tip the balance and plunge him into deeper madness. I present a conversation between Melkor and Namo written for the Taboo challenge categories of Murder, Cannibalism, Ostracism and Exile and Consequences. 

Major Characters: Mandos, Melkor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Horror

Challenges: Taboo

Rating: General

Warnings: Torture

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 788
Posted on 9 February 2017 Updated on 9 February 2017

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


*shudders* This was awful in a good way! (That is, nasty subject matter, but very well thought out and written.) You certainly made me feel sorry for Melkor. He probably was mad (by our standards) before going into this, but as he observes, it's mostly how he was made (although supposedly he could have exercised his Free Will (TM) and chosen to be better? I don't know.) - but after this experience, anyone would go over the edge. Chilling description of Melkor's captivity (which, like so many other things, is just glossed over in the book). It's definitely giving me a lot to think about.

"Angered by my actions, the methods of my imprisonment became the anvil upon which he wrought his despair."

That was haunting! It's a startling reminder that the rest of the Valar can be vindictive and cruel, too, and not just unintentionally.

I also like Melkor's parting shot: "Yet know this - I have acted as I was made."

That's something that's bothered me about the Valar in general, when I think too much about their origins and nature...just how much free will do they have?

Great story! It's very thought-provoking!