Outsiders of Gondolin Mutual Defence League by Himring

| | |

For us the time is short

Hurin and Huor have obtained leave from Turgon to leave Gondolin, partly by pointing out their short life span.
Maeglin told them, in Turgon's hearing: "the law is become less stern than aforetime".
After that conversation, Maeglin visits Caragdur, where Eol was executed.


He stood gazing out over the precipice. Nobody came here; he was surprised to hear steps approaching.

It was Hurin.

‘I asked why you said what you did. They told me about your parents. I am sorry.’

Maeglin gazed at him rather blankly. It had been the first time he had ever come close to saying to Turgon: Could you not have let him go?

‘I do not begrudge you the leave,’ he said finally.

How staunchly the young Mortal believed in Gondolin, in Turgon’s plans! Even though, when his home was attacked, Turgon had not moved hand or foot.


Chapter End Notes

The title is quoted from Hurin's previous words to Turgon, when he was persuading Turgon to let them go.
Maeglin is said to dislike all Men, in this passage in the Silmarillion, although it seems very unlikely he had actually met any at this point besides Hurin and Huor, so I'm choosing to take that statement with a grain of salt, coloured by knowledge of the later development with Tuor. The wording of Maeglin's comment to Hurin reads to me as if it is really aimed at Turgon.
It's interesting to consider that, by Elvish standards, Maeglin might still be be as young as Hurin is here, by the standards of the Edain, although the text never seems to make anything of Maeglin's age, after his arrival in Gondolin.

Written for the prompt: Doomed to Die.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment