A Memory in Hand by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

For the "Start to Finish" challenge.

The prompt (first sentence) used is: 

There was no possibility of taking a walk that day. 

(Charlotte Bronte, Jane Eyre)

 

Warnings: chiefly for a darker background, with hints of the losses of the Dagor Bragollach

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Finduilas  is still trying to settle in in Nargothrond, when she receives a gift from Finrod.

Major Characters: Finduilas, Finrod Felagund

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Family, General

Challenges: Start to Finish

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Mature Themes

Chapters: 2 Word Count: 1, 016
Posted on 9 November 2019 Updated on 9 November 2019

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


The snow globe is a stunning image, but still a horribly sad one--I want one of those! But, the wound might be a little fresh for her to appreciate the gift without feeling even sadder! (Although, it is his kindness and her feeling welcomed and cared for which is most important) I'm just getting over being really sick! Might be that I am the one that is feeling fragile and projecting it onto Finduilas who is also one of those horribly tragic characters. And then you end with Khim! Now there is a happy story (not!). You certainly did engage me. And there is no denying that beautiful as Nargothond was and as much as I would like to imagine exploring it, Finduilas must have been pretty shattered when she arrived there. 

It a good story and definitely elicited a lot of feelings from me--that's what one wants, right?

*I see you did warn! No matter, since you wrote, I would have read it with even a stronger warning! 

Thank you very much for engaging with the story and for your comments, Oshun!

I agree that the gift of the globe is something of a risk, when the pain is still so fresh (Orodreth is clearly taking a different approach). That is why I wanted to bring out that it comes out of a shared grief, in part, and that Finrod has also lost Tol Sirion, although he did not feel about it in quite the same way. I'm glad you feel he is being kind and caring, despite your reservations about his timing! (I do think Elves would make the best snow globes ever, if they went in for them!)

Yes, I think Finduilas would have been shattered when she arrived, especially if she experienced the siege. (I have dodged the question, so far, of whether she has lost her mother and, if so, how recently, but she doesn't seem to be around.)

Khim's fate in canon is not at all a happy one. But I do like the fanon of Finduilas (or anyone else from Nargothrond, really) finding out more about Petty Dwarves and not just being oblivious about them and that does not, I think, have to be an unhappy story in itself.

 

This is quite sweet even though it's sad-- I always like Finrod and Finduilas when they're written well, and you've written them well. But of course there are always shadows creeping around the edges of the light. But of course I should really expect that sort of thing when I go to read Silmfic. All this to say, I liked this a lot!