By Way of Tears by StarSpray

| | |

Fanwork Notes

For the prompt: Isildur's wife hearing the news of Isildur's death and receiving the shards of Narsil from Ohtar.

I've given Ohtar in this story another, personal, name, since it says in Unfinished Tales:

"Ohtar is the only name used in the legends; but it isprobably only the title of address that Isildur used at this tragic moment, hiding his feelings under formality. Ohtar 'warrior, soldier' was the title of all who, though fully trained and experienced, had not yet been admitted to the rank of roquen, 'knight.' But Ohtar was dear to Isildur and of his own kin."

 

Fanwork Information

Summary:

"I fear your lord husband is dead, your grace. By the Gladden Fields near the Greenwood we were beset by many foes—orcs out of the mountains. The fight went ill, and my lord told me—he told me to keep this from capture, at any cost."

The shards of Narsil.

Major Characters: Elrond, Ohtar, Original Female Character(s), Original Male Character(s)

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, General

Challenges: Around the Fire

Rating: General

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 3, 085
Posted on 15 August 2016 Updated on 15 August 2016

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I really loved this. It's just the dramatic moment I was hoping for. I like the contrast between Lirulin being formal and restrained in public, breaking down in private, and then pulling herself together to do what she has to. Ohtar seems loyal and conscientious (and very young), and I think giving him a personal name works well.

It makes sense to me that leadership of their people would fall to Isildur's widow under such circumstances -- that's been part of my personal headcanon for a while now. I was happy to see her stepping forward as Regent and that you gave her a sister to support her. Thank you for filling my prompt!