Mirror Image by Tyelca

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This fic was born in a conversaton with a good friend, as we agreed that there was way too little father/son fluff starring Fëanor. This is written for the prompt Acceptance and Change of the Taboo-challenge, though there's not really a taboo involved?

Quenya names are used, as this takes place in Valinor before the Silmarils.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Curufin is troubled, and Fëanor decides to talk to him. Fluff!

Major Characters: Curufin, Fëanor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges: Taboo

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 355
Posted on 4 February 2017 Updated on 4 February 2017

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This was really sweet and touching. I love reading stories about the Fëanorians in which they show their human sides, and this one fits the bill perfectly. Loved the details about Fëanor reading Curufin so effortlessly - of course he would - and the alternative explanation for Curufin's mother-name was very sweet.

As for the challenge prompt, I don't know about your experience, but for many people, admitting that they want a(nother) child but can't conceive one is actually a bit of a taboo even today (and probably more so if someone, like Curufin in your story, believes that it somehow makes him less of a man). So I'd say there definitely is a taboo involved in your story, even if the actual prompt is more centered on acceptance! :)

Thank you so much! The Fëanorians are very complex characters, and everyone has a human side. I tried to show that they are not just Oath-driven killers, but possess a distinct personality, complete with wants and fears. About Curufinwë's mothername: I always thought it strange to name a baby 'Little Father', as at the time of birth it is not obvious yet how the child will turn out. Another option is that the Eldar only name their children when they're grown up, but that seems a bit impractical to me. So to me, this explanation made the most sense.

You are right, there is a taboo in that. I didn't go off-topic entirely :)

Thanks! I don't understand why Fëanáro would not be a good father - as far as I know, there is nothing in The Silmarillion that indicates he treated his children badly, or was not interested in them. I believe it is even stated somewhere that no one was allowed to touch/see the Silmarils, except for his closest family. We all know how he guarded them, so if he did not trust his sons to care for them, why would he even let them near his jewels? And aside from your point about Nerdanel, with which I totatlly agree, why would Fëanáro himself want seven (or six - they didn't know the Ambarussa would be twins) children if he did not care about them?

I am way too passionate about Fëanáro being a good and loving father, I know ;)