By Any Other Name by Tyelca

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for the Taboo-challenge; Etiquette is the prompt used, though it is not really mentioned.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

After Fëanor’s death, Curufin writes a letter to his father and ponders with which name to sign.

Major Characters: Curufin

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges: Taboo

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 370
Posted on 10 February 2017 Updated on 10 February 2017

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Hug him! There's nothing wrong with that! Personally I would like to hug the entire House of Fëanor and never let go xD Then again, I'm a huge Fëanorian apologist and proud of it. Go ahead! Write Curufin and make the rest of us cry for him too!

The Taboo-challenges really are somehting, indeed - I have much more ideas, some of which I'm writing even now, and there was simply not enough time to get them all out of my head and onto the page. I have not really written anything starring Curufin so profoundly before these challenges, and I really liked how his character unfolded (I always start blank, and during the story (or multiple stories) characters develop their personality).

I like this. I like the way you've written Curufin's conflicted feelings here and the difficulty he has in imagining himself without his father. I feel like this phrase sums it up well: "In truth, he did not want to be the sole Curufinwë in existence." It also feels right to me that he would burn the letter to his father, sending it to the same fate as Fëanor.

Thank you! I think that line is indeed the source of his turmoil and a good summary of his feelings. Curufin has two reasons for burning the letter, in my opinion: first, so that nobody will ever read it and know of his moment of weakness, as he himself sees it, and second, so that it does indeed go to Fëanor.