Escape by hennethgalad

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Originally posted as part of the Silmarillion40 event.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Tuor meets the messengers of Círdan and passes through the mountains to the sea. At Vinyamar he comes face to face with Ulmo.

Major Characters: Gelmir, Tuor, Ulmo

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre:

Challenges:

Rating: Creator Chooses Not to Rate

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 401
Posted on 14 October 2017 Updated on 14 October 2017

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


What an intense description of Tuor's experience!

You can feel how strongly he has been affected by his long loneliness and all his senses are sharpened.

It occurs to me that in this he is not unlike Beren.

There is so much beautiful imagery in this story, I don't know what to point to as the most moving. I love this story in Unfinished Tales. Incredibly evocative there as well. Make me wish I could paint or draw well. I'll just pick one paragraph as an example:

Belegaer stole his heart; all summer he wandered by the shore, and learned the many moods of sea and sky, the brisk, bright sparkle of the winds of spring, the sleepy, lapping waves of high summer, the oily stillness of sea under fog, and the rising winds of autumn. But on a time of falling leaves swirling in a rain-wet wind, he heard the distant call of a swan, and a spearhead of seven mighty birds hove into view, flying into the South, to pass the season of cold in a warmer world. They moved with smooth and steady beats, their white wings dazzled against the dark grey clouds of an approaching storm, he stood enraptured, watching as they soared past him and vanished into the distance, leaving him aware of his solitude for the first time since he had found the ocean. He gazed after them, pining for the company of those who speak; whether Eldar or Edain, he no longer cared. His purpose rose within him like the oncoming storm, he must move on, he must follow the swans into the South.

I looked for a place to choose to break the paragraph when I realized how long it was, but I couldn't bear to cut any of it. Lovely work.

If it was easy or quick for you to write, don't tell me it was. Because I would be devastated. I'm jealous enough of it already.

Powerful descriptions - parts of your story read almost like a painting! You've captured the essence of Tuor's wonderings so well - his sense of self-reliance (but also isolation) comes across very keenly, and the whole story moves with wonderful efficiency.