Arrival Of A King by Tyelca

| | |

Fanwork Notes

For the Breaking Boundaries challenge, a short tale of how King Elessar arrived in Umbar for the first time.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A few years after the War of the Ring, the new King visits Umbar for the first time.

Major Characters: Aragorn, Men, Original Character(s), Original Female Character(s)

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, General

Challenges: Breaking Boundaries

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 4, 379
Posted on 10 March 2018 Updated on 10 March 2018

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I really like how you gave this a hopeful and reconciliatory tone without wiping away the centuries of struggle, oppression and rebellion. Letting Ûrîphêl compare the faces of Aragorn and Ar-Pharazôn was very clever - to stress the differences, but also the similarities and all the history between Umbar and Gondor. There may be healing in the future, but it's not a quick or easy process.

Thank you! Umbar and Gondor have a history together, and that was one thing I did want to show. I think Aragorn is how Ar-Pharazôn should have been - and they are distantly related as well. And by comparing them and their characters, they form a great metaphor for their times and what that means for Umbar. Most of this piece was worldbuilding - while Tolkien offers tantalizing hints to Umbar;s hostory, there is very little actual information. I tried here to fill in the gaps, as it were.

Fascinating! I don't often read Fourth Age fic, but I would read more of this. You've given Umbar its own history both before and after the War of the Ring, and show intriguing glimpses of its culture. There's hope that Aragorn may be able to make a real peace with Umbar, but clearly it won't be a smooth process.  Interesting that Ûrîphêl compares Aragorn to Ar-Pharazôn!

Thank you! While I don't have plans to continue this piece in the future, I just might if inspiration strikes. I liked how Umbar is hinted at throughout Tolkien's work, yet there is barely any concrete information. If there's anyone who can reconciliate the warring sentiments of both Gondor and Umbar, it is Aragorn!