An Ongoing Research by Tyelca

| | |

Fanwork Notes

For the April Challenge Rise Above.

I was given the following quote by Marie Curie, a pioneer in the field of radioactivity: "Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less."

I took Thuringwethil as main character, and changed her into someone who desires knowledge, rather than evil. She is basically a True Neutral Ravenclaw. She is also, in my mind, the chronicler of Melkor, writing down Angband's histories and tales.

This is mostly a character study and contains a few hints towards Angbang.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A new prisoner is brought to Angband, and in her ever-ongoing pursuit of knowledge, Thuringwethil spends some time with him.

Major Characters: Maedhros, Melkor, Sauron, Thuringwethil

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges: Rise Above

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 233
Posted on 10 May 2018 Updated on 10 May 2018

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Interesting and intriguing. The story only reinforces my casual observation that in general within the fanfic writers the fascination with gender and power is what draws them to explore Thuringwethil. Sure, lots of people adore vampire stories, but I think the fascination with her goes beyond that. I notice you don't even mention that in this ficlet--it's not central for this story!

There is not much known aboout Thuringwethil, but we do know that she wielded power - and that is practically an invitation for any fanfic writer. And she is so much more than 'just' a vampire (even though I did put in just the tiniest hint!). And as much as I love vampires (and I do), it is not her defining trait. Personally, I see her as a lesser Maia, choosing Melkor's side just like so many others did, and this is just as much a character study as a real story.

Thank you! Thuringwethil was canonically a messenger, but that got me thinking, what was she doing in Minas Tirith, an occupied enemy fortress, in the first place? And so this idea was born. And Sauron is the one running Angband on a daily basis; it would be impossible to rule a fortress of that size without laying down some hard rules. Those rules don't apply to himself, ofcourse, but that's to be expected ;).