Holidays Gone By by StraightOuttaHimring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

The characters tie into a longer ongoing WIP, the Harad Expedition, but this can be read as a stand-alone. 

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Vignettes of four elves celebrating holidays over the years, and one holiday spent togeather. For The Silmarillion Writer's Guild 'Seasons Greetings' challenge. 

Glorfindel: Tarnin Austa in Gondolin 

Gildor: Begetting Day in Nargothrond 

Erestor: Turuhalmë on Amon Ereb

Lindor: Coming of Age in Lindon

Yestarë in Imladris 

Major Characters: Celebrimbor, Ecthelion of the Fountain, Egalmoth, Elrond, Elros, Erestor, Finduilas, Glorfindel, Lindir, Maedhros, Maglor, Original Female Character(s), Orodreth, Turgon

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Family, Fluff, General

Challenges: Season's Greetings

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 3 Word Count: 4, 165
Posted on 13 January 2020 Updated on 15 January 2020

This fanwork is a work in progress.

Table of Contents

Tarnin Austa - “Gates of Summer”, a Midsummer festival of Gondolin

“For know that on a night it was their custom to begin a solemn ceremony at midnight, continuing it even till the dawn of Tarnin Austa broke, and no voice was uttered in the city from midnight till the break of day, but the dawn they hailed with ancient songs. For years uncounted had the coming of summer thus been greeted with music of choirs, standing upon their gleaming eastern wall; and now comes even the night of vigil and the city is filled with silver lamps, while in the groves upon the new-leaved trees lights of silver colours swing, and low musics go along the ways, but no voice sings until the dawn.” (BoLT 2, The Fall of Gondolin)

 

“Turuhalmë - the ‘Logdrawing’, bringing in of wood to Mar Vanwa Tyaliéva.” (BoLT 2, Index)

It is likely that the Yule log of Germanic Christian tradition served as inspiration. A Quenya name for the winter solstice is Amanar, “Yule and the beginning of the Sun’s return” (Letter to Jonathan Hepworth).


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.