Why by Tarion Anarore

Fanwork Information

Summary:

In answer to the question, "Maglor, why didn't you rescue Maedhros; why did the poor chap have to wait for cousin Fingon to go get him?" posed by Jillian Baade at the LiveJournal site. 

My response to the "Ask a Character" challenge, from the beginning of days (before monthly newsletters, even!).

Major Characters: Fingon, Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 520
Posted on 26 November 2007 Updated on 26 November 2007

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I very much enjoyed reading this. Very nice description of a difficult, emotional encounter. This is also something I have thought about a lot. I tried to describe my view of it in one of my chapters in my latest WIP. I also imagined although I interpreted it somewhat differently what the encounter between Maglor and Fingon on this question must have been almost unbearably painful. I finally decided that Maglor, due to his responsibilities to his brothers and followers, was not free to do what Fingon did and Fingon would understand that. (In the end, for me, thinking about how Fingon was able to take on his quest to rescue Maedhros was a pivotal clue for developing my characterization of him--valiant, undoubtedly, but also rash, passionate and, ultimately, incredibly idealistic.)

Thanks, Oshun! I think they would eventually come to an understanding...offscreen for this story (though I feel the ending is kind of abrupt, and I'm not quite content with it, but I was also afraid that if I read it before posting it here, I would change my mind and not post it at all. Yes, I'm too cowardly to read my own stuff sometimes!) I agree that Maglor's responsibilities to his brothers and followers would play a role in his decision, but I also thought that he would realize how impossible (or extremely close to impossible, seeing as Fingon *did* accomplish it) it would be to rescue Maedhros, which is what comes to the forefront in this story while duty to the people stays in the background.

Tarion, you've captured vividly a powerful, emotionally-fraught scene in this ficlet.  Maglor and Fingon's anger and frustration crackle through your well-turned phrases which not only convey their emotional state but also the physical reactions to such, e.g., clenched jaw, narrowed eyes.  

And this...

“Do you know what it’s like to bear the condemning stares of your people? To see your family fall apart? To wake up every morning knowing you must live another day and going to bed at night hoping you don’t imagine your brother’s screams? Do you know what it’s like to fail?”

...is wrenching. 

I'm partial to first person POV as both reader and writer (for better or worse). I really like how you put yourself in Maglor's head and drew me, as the reader, into that headspace, too.

Well done! And a special tip o' the hat for conveying so much in a short piece.

Oh, what a ficlet! I enjoyed it very, very much. Rage and uncertainty are palpable, and you've done a splendid job capturing them. Very powerful, very vivid and simply stunning. I could almost see Maglor and Fingon with their raw emotions. Thank you tons for sharing :)

Best wishes,

Binka