Heresy by Marta

Fanwork Information

Summary:

"The cruel servants of Celegorm seized his young sons and left them to starve in the forest. Of this Maedhros indeed repented, and sought for them long in the woods of Doriath."

Major Characters: Celegorm, Maedhros

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges: B2MeM 2009

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Character Death, Violence (Mild)

Chapters: 2 Word Count: 965
Posted on 23 March 2009 Updated on 23 March 2009

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I really like Maedhros' inner conflict here: not fully agreeing by how things are done, yet finding satisfaction of no longer bearing the responsibilty and yet it will never end for him. To me, with Celegorm gone his biggest 'oponent' is gone and Maedhros making amends for the deeds done by his brother servants shines a different light on his motive, especially since you portray him as someone who killed younger ones before. It leaves me to wonder what he would have done if he came across Elwing and the jewel as she tried to get away. I am going to stew on this for a while.

I think you provided excellent insights into Maedhros's, and indirectly Celegorm's, characters here.  I especially enjoyed Maedhros's inner conflict between pursuing the Oath and doing the decent thing and look for the twins.  Very rich and a good read.