Changing Lights by Elleth

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Many thanks to Lyra, Dawn Felagund and Cirdan for their invaluable feedback. Thank you, Whitewave, for the nomination.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Nerdanel's journey. From her marriage to Fëanor to coming full circle, and the recurring choice along the way: Tomorrow, or yesterday? A fic inspired by this year's B2MeM prompt 31: As a citizen of Middle-earth, one day you wake up with a choice: yesterday or tomorrow. Which would you pick and why? MEFA Nominee 2009. Thank you, Whitewave! Won First Place in Times: First Age and Prior: House of Finwe.

Major Characters: Fëanor, Nerdanel

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Experimental, Romance

Challenges: B2MeM 2009

Rating: Teens

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 018
Posted on 10 May 2009 Updated on 10 May 2009

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I liked this immensely--from the bright, rosy start to the melancholy end.  You have such great way of using words to paint pictures, and having seen your work with pictures, I think you're also good with using pictures that inspire words to be written.  I really, really like reading about your Fëanorians, particularly your Nerdanel. 

Aaw, thanks, you're flattering me. It would be easy to go off writing an essay on a relation between words and pictures for me (in writing I'm usually describing the visuals I get imagining the scene, some sort of 'in-mind cinema', while with the manips I'm trying to get the visuals themselves down in pixels, so your connection isn't even so far off), but that would be beyond the scope of the review. Thanks for liking my Feanorians. Sneaky buggers, aren't they, worming their way into other minds?

You write Nerdanel really well. She has such a bittersweet life. I'm always so impressed and in awe of Feanor, and the way your Nerdanel always wakes me up to the reality. It adds a much more personal touch to the glory of the Noldor and how their greatest glory came from Feanor but also their greatest sorrow. The sun is supposed to mark the waning of the Elves and that's exactly what it does in Nerdanel's case. She's very strong, and I admire her for moving forward despite her loss.