Under Strange Stars

Series compiled by Idrils Scribe

| | |

Barely a long-year after the Last Alliance all is not well in Imladris. Elrond's household has been dealt a crippling blow: a very young Elrohir has disappeared. After decades of false leads he is found in the Far South of Middle-Earth. Can Glorfindel rescue the House of Earendil once more? His task is not an easy one: Elrohir has no memory of who he was, and little interest in leaving his people's fight against the Black Nùmenoreans of Umbar ...

Series Information

Summary:

Barely a long-year after the Last Alliance all is not well in Imladris. Elrond's household has been dealt a crippling blow: a very young Elrohir has disappeared. After decades of false leads he is found in the Far South of Middle-Earth. Can Glorfindel rescue the House of Earendil once more? His task is not an easy one: Elrohir has no memory of who he was, and little interest in leaving his people's fight against the Black Nùmenoreans of Umbar ...

Major Characters: Celebrían, Elladan, Elrohir, Elrond, Glorfindel

Major Relationships:

Genre: Adventure, Family, General, Hurt/Comfort

Challenges:


Fanworks in "Under Strange Stars"

This is a Writing fanwork

Sun and Shadow by Idrils Scribe

Warnings: No warnings apply

Under Strange Stars is Glorfindel's story, and the Lord of the Golden Flower certainly enjoys the telling! The epic tale of his dangerous journey deep into the blazing deserts of Far Harad in search of Elrond's missing son never fails to have the Hall of Fire hanging on his every word.

A riveting tale for sure, but every story has two sides. Today we tell Elrohir's.

Many thanks to my wonderful beta Cherepashka!

This is a Writing fanwork

Under strange stars by Idrils Scribe

Warnings: Violence (Moderate)

Barely a long-year after the Last Alliance all is not well in Imladris. Elrond's household has been dealt a crippling blow: a very young Elrohir has disappeared. After decades of false leads he is found in the Far South of Middle-Earth. Can Glorfindel find and rescue the descendant of Earendil once more? There is just one problem: Elrohir has no memory of who he was, and little interest in leaving his people's fight against the Black Nùmenoreans of Umbar...

A huge thanks to my beta, the irreplaceable Dawn Felagund, who made this tale at least twice as good as it was originally. All remaining mistakes are mine.

 

 

This is a Writing fanwork

The Art of Ending by Idrils Scribe

Warnings: No warnings apply

“I'll never see them again. I know that. And they know that. And knowing this, we say farewell.”
 Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the Shore

When Elrohir left Harad to go home to Rivendell, what -or who- did he leave behind? Glorfindel never noticed anything unusual about Elrohir's companion, but Mortal loves are strange to the Elves ...

This is a Writing fanwork

The Stars Above the Sea by Idrils Scribe

Warnings: No warnings apply

"The Great Desert was a circle of blinding whiteness and glare. A leaden sun beat down from directly overhead, burning nothing but silence and salt. Elrohir stood in his saddle and looked out over salt flats without end. Crossing Harad’s central plains in the shimmering daytime heat was reckless. To anyone less experienced with the desert it would have been deadly."

After a long and perilous search Glorfindel found Elrond's missing son in Far Harad - only to lose him again. Will Elrohir's odyssey, across Middle-earth from the furthest South to the North, finally lead him to Rivendell? And what will he find once he gets there?

Sequel to Under Strange Stars, but can perfectly well be read on its own. This story is complete, and will be posted in weekly installments. Your feedback is very much appreciated!
As always, a big bow and thank you to my wonderful beta Dawn Felagund.

This is a Writing fanwork

The Roads Not taken by Idrils Scribe

Warnings: No warnings apply

A collection of outtakes and deleted scenes written for the Under Strange Stars series. Are you wondering how Elrohir's long journey came to be, or which alternative universes didn't make the cut? Want to read more about the characters? Take a look over here, at what might have been ...

This is a Writing fanwork

Northern Skies by Idrils Scribe

Warnings: No warnings apply

Elrohir's perilous odyssey across Middle-earth finally brings him home to Rivendell. Sadly all is not well: the Elf-child that was abducted into Umbar is now a Man grown. Forty years of war and darkness left Elrohir deeply scarred, and the Hidden Valley harbors ancient conflicts of its own. Will the love of his family be enough when Elrohir finds himself a stranger in a strange land?

This story is part of the Under Strange Stars series, but it can perfectly well be read on its own. STORY COMPLETE!

Many thanks to my excellent beta Dawn Felagund. Any remaining mistakes are mine.

This is a Writing fanwork

On the Starlit Sea by Idrils Scribe

Warnings: Violence (Moderate)

An alternate universe for the Under Strange Stars series, in which Elrohir goes with Glorfindel instead of running away from him after the events of Under Strange Stars. Together, they journey from Harad's Great Desert into the heart of the Umbarian Empire, to the coast where Galdor’s swan-ship awaits to carry them home.

But danger lurks even on the high seas …

Many thanks to Grundy for all of her excellent beta-reading and brainstorming.


Today's challenge is to "leave feedback on a fanwork you love," and I really really love your entire Elrond family saga.  Elrond stands in a unique and challenging position in the legendarium; I really enjoy your carefully imagined characterization of him and your consideration of how his early family experience plays out in his roles in his own family.