Gone With The Harp's Echo by Narya

Fanwork Information

Summary:

There was once a young man who could move between worlds, and he fell in love with a fairy...

Major Characters: Legendary/Mythical Character(s), Original Character(s), Other Fictional Character(s), Maglor

Major Relationships: Maglor & Original Character

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Adventure, Crossover

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

Chapters: 11 Word Count: 9, 196
Posted on 6 September 2021 Updated on 8 September 2021

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.

Narya has requested the following types of constructive criticism on this fanwork: Spelling, Grammar, and Mechanics. All constructive criticism must follow our diplomacy guidelines.


This was so original! It gave me that sense of faerie that I get from Tolkien's early writings, especially the poems. I felt like I was watching all of this mystery and magic unfold through a screen. (Look forward to discussing in book club, but wanted to drop a comment also :-).)

 

I love this type of stories, and the wonder of the child made me also go back to my own childhood when all tunnels made by bushes were a portal to another world. I love portal fantasies and this is just perfect. The descriptions are so vivid. I can smell and hear everything. 

Me screaming “laurie”!!! Maglor, I see you there. Ooh I’m sure Maglor also saw somehow that Robin travelled through worlds…and I do wonder why Robin does no longer go to there. I can see it metaphorically being the crush of the adult life “bills and deadlines” but maybe, who knows…

Oooh I wonder who she is. I love all the easter eggs from different worlds, the Smith of Wotton Major for example. 
I wonder who she is. The queen of Faerie? Or someone else? I always think “Luthien” first when I read “dancing maiden” but Idon’t think it’s her…

He was not from this world? Star blazing on his forehead? Who can it be? Gil-Galad??? I love the mystery, the way it reads as a coming of age story, how magic and mundane interact, the whimsical tone, it’s beautiful.

Ahhh once again so bittersweet. 
I love the fact that Robin had a good relationship with his adopted mother, and that Alf respected that. 
And now, you gave me hope with the healing waters (those made me think of the Pools of Ivrin)

Oooh so he went back! I’m so happy for him, although again, it must be bittersweet for him. But he has more closure now, I think.

also, the korrigan! This is an allusion to the lay of aotrou and itroun? Although the korrigan is less…malevolentp here

Smith of Wootton Major was more of a favourite with me than The Hobbit when I first read them (a long, long time ago), just after finishing The Lord of the Rings trilogy - which had been a Christmas present. This story that you have written is so beautiful and evocative of both the worlds of Smith and The Silmarillion​​​​​​. 

I really want May and Laurie to also be able to go home.... 

Just fantastic. ❤️