Horseman Wild in Windy Clouds by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

My challenge prompt was:

“There evening came

with misty moon | moving slowly

through the wind-wreckage | in the wide heavens,

where strands of storm | among the stars wandered.

Fires were flickering, | frail tongues of gold

under hoary hills.”

~ “The Fall of Arthur”

(More on my use of the prompt in the end notes.)

 

Warnings for brief references to death and battle.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Annael tells his fosterling Tuor about the rides of Orome in Beleriand, before the Darkening of Valinor.

Major Characters: Annael, Oromë, Tuor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Ficlet, General

Challenges: On a Different Page

Rating: General

Warnings: Check Notes for Warnings

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 553
Posted on 1 May 2022 Updated on 2 May 2022

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I am so happy to see something written about BOTH of these periods (pre-Noldor Beleriand and Tuor's fostering) and I love the worldbuilding you've squeezed into this little piece about the time when Beleriand was under stars and Melian was Queen (so cool to think of her sending messages around, and the tragedy of not telling them why Oromë isn't coming). 

The foreshadowing of Eärendil with Tuor's last comment is brilliant. 

Thank you very much! I'm very glad you enjoyed the details here!

There is probably more than one way to read the legendarium, as there so often is, but it sounds to me as if Melian had received occasional communications from Valinorean Ainur before the Darkening, but as soon as the Trees died, there was a total  communication black-out, even for her.

I have written little about pre-Noldorin Beleriand, but there are two other short conversations between Annael and Tuor about the more recent past in this drabble series about Annael, if you would like to see them: https://www.silmarillionwritersguild.org/node/1731

This is really great! I love Annael telling stories to little Tuor, and this is a great glimpse into what it was like in Beleriand during the Years of the Trees. And that last line is wonderful foreshadowing of Earendil!