Illuminating Now and Dark Hath-been by polutropos

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Two great bards meet during the Sack of Sirion. Written for the SWG Challenge "On a Different Page." 

Prompt from Mythopoeia:

“Such isles they saw afar, and ones more fair, 
and those that hear them yet may yet beware. 
They have seen Death and ultimate defeat, 
and yet they would not in despair retreat, 
but oft to victory have turned the lyre 
and kindled hearts with legendary fire, 
illuminating Now and dark Hath-been 
with light of suns as yet by no man seen.”

Major Characters: Dírhavel, Maglor

Major Relationships: Dírhavel & Maglor

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: On a Different Page

Rating: General

Warnings: Character Death

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 823
Posted on 10 May 2022 Updated on 10 May 2022

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

“But here I will tell as I may a Tale of Men that Dírhaval of the Havens made in the days of Eärendel long ago. Narn i Chîn Húrin he called it, the Tale of the Children of Húrin … He came of the House of Hador, it is said, and the glory and sorrow of that House was nearest to his heart. Dwelling at the Havens of Sirion, he gathered there all the tidings and lore that he could …”

“Dírhavel they say perished in the last raid of the sons of Fëanor upon the Havens.”

- The War of the Jewels (HoME 11), Part Three, Chapter II, ‘Ælfwine and Dírhavel’.

I have chosen to use the later spelling of Dírhaval's name.

 


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Thank you! I would certainly not have thought of it if I hadn't stumbled upon a reference to Dirhaval while looking for something else... then it all sort of clicked into place as an opportunity for a meeting between bards. I love trying to come up with unique premises for fics, especially for these SWG challenges. I appreciate your comment!