Calls from the other end of the galaxy by daughterofshadows

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Sometimes you just need a little help with a code from the author, even if you've been working with it for decades. If only they would answer their dang phone!
So, instead Maeglin calls an old friend, hears an amusing anecdote and passes on a message.
It's all in a day's work.
Except for the autopilot. That took a lot longer.

Major Characters: Celebrimbor, Maeglin

Major Relationships: Celebrimbor & Maeglin

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: Also Appearing

Rating: General

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 601
Posted on 6 July 2022 Updated on 6 July 2022

This fanwork is a work in progress.

Table of Contents

Because Maeglin deserves to be happy and explore Space rocks. (Not that he does in this fic, but I'm working on it.)
Today's episode of Welcome to the Beleriand System features

Maeglin: After the VSS Gondolin crashed, he joined his cousin Idril and her husband Tuor on the newly built BSS Eärrámë as they work on finding a way back to the Valinor system. Now he gets to spend time with his two favourite people in the whole world AND study cool rocks! Truly, he's living his best life.

Celebrimbor: He, too, used to live on the Gondolin, but after her end, he was quickly pulled into a variety of different engineering projects rather than joining the crew on the Eärrámë. That is how the Gwaith-i-Mírdain were formed, who quickly established themselves as one of the best engineering teams in Beleriand.

Honorary mentions go to Narvi, without whom none of their projects would ever be delivered, and Naria, whose coding knowledge knows no equal.

One last thing before you get started: Just ignore the timeline. I needed Maeglin and the Gwaith-i-Mírdain to coexist for a reason. Some of the changes have some vague scientific basis, others you'll just have to roll with. It should all be explained on Sunday if nothing goes wrong.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.

daughterofshadows has requested the following types of constructive criticism on this fanwork: Spelling, Grammar, and Mechanics. All constructive criticism must follow our diplomacy guidelines.


You had me at Maeglin happily exploring space rocks, before the fic even started : D 

Maeglin's and Celebrimbor's dynamic is so fun. It makes me very happy to see them be friends :3

I'm left wondering at that comment about Elwing and "the little ones", though. So far things seem to go at least somewhat better than in canon for our friends, so will Elwing and the twins both leave with Earendil? If so, does she take the Silmarils (provided she even has one here)? I'm intrigued! 

I'm so so sorry to leave your comment unanswered for so long, but actually it's all for the better because I've done a lot of worldbuilding since then!

Things are definitely going way way better than in canon, so Elwing, Eärendil and the twins will get to stay together!

The silmarils kind of exist, but (inspired by one of Anne Wolfe's Scribbles and Drabbles arts from 2021) they are power sources for space ships. There are the three OG silmarils, and then there are slightly simpler ones powering most of the Valinorean fleet.

So they're way less contentious here. No kinslaying in this universe for example. It also eliminates basically the entire Morgoth/Sauron plot line, because I decided I had no need for dark lords in space.

That's not to say there won't be tragedy, but it's of a different nature. And mostly slightly less deadly!

 

Anyway, I'm really glad you liked it! I promise I will get Maeglin to actually explore some space rocks at some point XD