A Promise Kept by chrissystriped

| | |

Fanwork Notes

warnings: blood, injuries

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Mablung leaves Doriath on the eve of the Nirnaeth Arnoediad.

Major Characters: Mablung, Thranduil

Major Relationships: Mablung & Thranduil

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Ficlet, General

Challenges: Manwë's Mailbag

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Check Notes for Warnings

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 542
Posted on 29 November 2022 Updated on 29 November 2022

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Written for this postcard prompt.

The sun shines through the green leaves of the trees standing over a small river. A bridge can be seen between them.

Text: Shall we walk here again and cross the bridge in sunlight?


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.

chrissystriped has requested the following types of constructive criticism on this fanwork: Spelling, Grammar, and Mechanics, Style. All constructive criticism must follow our diplomacy guidelines.


I like that that promise he gave Thranduil gives him additional strength and motivation to escape and make his way back.

Also an interesting explanation why it was just those two who went to the battle (and why Thranduil and the others couldn't).

Knowing that Thranduil is at home, waiting for him to return, helps Mablung to hold on to the last bit of strength he has. If it weren't for Beleg needing him to drag him out and the memory of the promise he gave Thranduil, he might not be able to go on.

Thanks! Those two can get away with a lot more than anyone else. They were around before he became king and he knows he can't make them stay with their relationship staying intact.

Aww! Young Thranduil! I like how just at the words "Take me with you." Thranduil is clearly still a child, and I love their interaction, the feels of both of them are so palpable. And Mablung is right, he shouldn't promise, and yet we all make those hope-filled promises.

I don't know if there's canon evidence that I've missed for Mablung also being unbegotten, but I love that they both are, here, and the fact that that's the reason they can choose for themselves what to do has made me think about what it is that gives a king the right to dictate what any subject can and can't do — lots of complexities there!

I get such big feels with the graphic image of them escaping, both wounded, and the image in Mablung's mind of Thranduil on the bridge and the thought of seeing him again giving him added strength to get them both home.

Lovely use of both elements of the prompts here!

Thranduil is still very young, but Mablung knows he has to treat him like the grown-up he insists he is, or this is going to turn into a huge argument.

You didn't miss anything (at least I don't know any canon source either), I made that up, because it fit with the reason I made up for them being able to go ;). Beleg and Mablung are old, they were around before Thingol (or Olwe, for that matter), became the king. They decided to stay with him, protect him and their people. But they will sometimes do what they think is right, even if it goes against Thingol's wishes and Thingol knows he has to accept that, if he wants them to stay in Doriath.

Thank you so much for your comment. Your photo is so beautiful and it was a bright light in a rather (weather-wise) dark, grey week.