In After Days by StarSpray

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for the Manwe's Mailbag challenge for this postcard prompt:

a window opens onto the ocean with the sun peeking through branches overhanging the opening; beyond is greenery leading down to the beach and open water

The text reads: Take a wider view - even at this later hour!

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Something out near the entrance to the bay caught his eye. It was a small, dark shape on the water, slowly growing larger. As it passed into Eldamar out of Belegaer, Eärendil felt his breath catch. “Elwing,” he said.
“I see it.” She leaned farther out of the window, as though those few inches might grant her a better look. She had one hand raised to shield her eyes from the sun’s glare. “It looks like—”
“Yes, but it can’t be.”

Major Characters: Eärendil, Elwing, Idril, Tuor, Voronwë

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Family, Fluff, General

Challenges: Manwë's Mailbag

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 358
Posted on 4 December 2022 Updated on 4 December 2022

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I loved that!

Nice description of Tol Eressea, and Earendil's remaining grief for Gondolin and his anxiety and joy at Earrame's arrival were so moving!

I also really liked Elwing here, too.

Ahh! Of course! It makes such sense that Ulmo wouldn't let any harm come to them... and I would love to hear about their adventures realms that only Ulmo knows!

This is such an uplifting story, I'm vicariously feeling their joy, thank you so much! (And of course I'm delighted that our postcard offered some inspiration for this!)

The landscape descriptions are gorgeous!

Earendil is so sad thinking about Gondolin and all he knew being drowned under the sea.

I love Elwing just jumping out of the window and flying away (why take the long way down?)

They are all so happy to see the ship! Many questions indeed, but it is so great that they are alive and well.