My Tent Is Always Open To You by Grundy

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for the following postcard by Anerea and Himring, which had the text "My tent is always open to you."

Postcard by Anerea and Himring showing various views of brightly colored tents in a garden and a few intriguing items that may be inside the tents

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A snippet of life in early Numenor, in which Elros tries once again to persuade his brother to come see his new place.

Major Characters: Elros

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre:

Challenges: Manwë's Mailbag

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 642
Posted on 7 January 2023 Updated on 7 January 2023

This fanwork is a work in progress.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Oh gosh, this has so much in it! It's so easy to keep forgetting that they went to an undeveloped island. I really enjoyed Elros' houghts about the differences between Manish and Elvish styles, and this live  particularly: "like a jewelbird from the south country inexplicably landed among a flock of northern ducks in their winter colors."

And he's setting some sensible precedents, thank goodness.

You've incorporated the text as well as the imagery so well, and your words are as vibrant as vibrant as the colours I love this: "The one that was his was orange. At least, from the outside. But from the inside, where it was just him, when the light hit it right, it was full of memories. Sometimes it was the shade of Maedhros’ hair, other times it was the red he remembered from the banners of the home he still held in his heart."

This is such a great snapshot of early Numenor, and also of Elros! I love his colorful tents, and I especially love that he starts building his more permanent residence gardens first. Very Elvish indeed!

"Elros’ tents looked by contrast like a jewelbird from the south country inexplicably landed among a flock of northern ducks in their winter colors."

That is such a wonderful way of describing it!

I also love that Elros is creating his gardens first. Who needs a house when you have pretty greenery around?
I hope his plan works and Elrond comes to visit soon!

Love this glimpse at early King Elros!

like a jewelbird ... landed among a flock of northern ducks in their winter colors.
it was also a rather elvish order of operations.

Ha!  A little too Elvish for Men yet!

At least he’d carried his point that the tents should be sized for the number of occupants, not the size of their purses.

A wise king indeed.  I like how this also has shades of the early line of having to decide between vying parties for the same piece of land.  I hope he showed the same wisdom there.

Sometimes it was the shade of Maedhros’ hair, other times it was the red he remembered from the banners of the home he still held in his heart.

Oh!  My heart!  That one was unexpected... but that final little letter to his brother was just perfect!  <3