Sparks by Independence1776

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Short stories, ficlets, and drabbles set at many points in the RAFA 'verse, from the Years of the Trees to RAFA itself. Each story has a separate rating.

Major Characters: Arwen, Celebrían, Elladan, Elrohir, Elrond, Elros, Elwing, Fëanor, Maedhros, Maglor, Nerdanel, Original Character(s)

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Fixed-Length Ficlet, General

Challenges: B2MeM 2009, B2MeM 2010, B2MeM 2012, B2MeM 2013

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Mature Themes, Violence (Mild)

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 11 Word Count: 6, 087
Posted on 6 March 2012 Updated on 29 May 2013

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Nerdanel receives the news Maglor has returned from Middle-earth. Rated General.

This was written on March 1, using the following prompts from the B2MeM bingo game: market day (Economy) and "for pity's sake" (In a Manner of Speaking).

Narmincë and her sister talk about Narmincë's plans to study astronomy in the Years of the Trees. Rated General.

Many thanks to Pandemonium_213 for confirming I wasn’t barking up the wrong tree in my interpretations. This was originally written for B2MeM 2012.

In a nutshell, RAFA has always used the ideas set forth in “Myths Transformed.” I cannot, in a ‘verse that deals explicitly with modern-day Earth, ignore science. MT allows me that leeway. (For those who are unfamiliar with MT: the Earth is always round, the Trees were formed from the sun and the moon and not vice versa, and Varda makes a dome of stars over Aman in order to preserve the uncorrupted light solely in Valinor. The dome is removed after the Darkening.) I all but stated my usage of MT in RAFA when I said that Tolkien’s Silmarillion is inaccurate regarding the creation myths. This story simply makes it explicit.

Makalaurë negotiates with Maitimo to get something he wants. Rated General.

This was originally written for B2MeM 2010 and has been edited somewhat from its original posting.

Narmincë talks to her fellow astronomers after the Darkening. Drabble. Rated General.

Thanks to Elleth for the beta!

The Third Kinslaying. Rated Teens.

Many thanks to Elleth for the beta.

The Elrond POV section has been modified from the original double drabble I wrote for B2MeM 2009.

Elladan builds a hang-gliding bicycle. Rated General.

This drabble is set in late Fourth Age Tol Eressëa and was inspired by Russandol's birthday greeting to me last year. Thanks to Elleth for the beta!

An Avarin tribe sails to Valinor. Rated General.

There is an oblique reference in here to something Maglor mentioned in Chapter 7 of RAFA.

Many thanks to Elleth for the beta. This was written using the first and third "A" prompts for B2MeM 2013.

Nerdanel, Fëanáro, Maitimo, and Káno go on a picnic. Rated General.

Thanks to Elleth for the beta.

Over the years, Elrond and Arwen talk about Elros' choice-- and hers. Rated Teens.

In many ways, this story is a sequel to “Never Look Back.” It is also the sole reason I’d thought about writing an Elrond POV companion story to “Embers” that covered the Second through Seventh Ages. I eventually decided against such a massive undertaking, partly because of the length but also because of a lack of interest in covering events other talented writers have (and much better than what I would do). But there were stories scattered across the timeline that I still wanted to tell. Hence, “Sparks”-- and therefore a place to put this story-- was born.

The title comes from this line in Fellowship of the Ring: “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

Narmincë and Makalaurë meet for the first time. Rated General.

Betaed by the wonderful Elleth!

Elrond and Celebrían decide where they will build their new home in Valinor. Drabble. Rated General.

Thanks to Elleth for the beta. (This is the last “Sparks” story, but there is one more story in the ‘verse.)


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I’ve been meaning to poke my nose into RAFA since meeting you during B2MeM.  I’m glad I got the chance through this short piece, which makes me curious about what else is going on in your ‘verse.  It seems the old debate about a woman choosing a career over a family is alive and kicking in Aman.  And I like the use of Varda’s dome, that’s an angle I don’t see taken every day.

Yes, I'd say this is a sequel to Never Look Back (which I loved), and it's a very poignant one.  I really like how you've captured Elrond's voice as a mature man compared with his younger voice in the earlier story, and how he has come to grips with his brother's choice, and then his daughter's.  The last scene made my eyes misty.  

Very nicely done, Indy!

I like their thoughts and dialogues about (im)mortality, and I especially like your Arwen. Tolkien and some fanfiction writers describe Arwen and other main female characters as beautiful, and that's all they say. Is that all that those women are? Pretty faces and nothing more? I really love how you describe Arwen - "a wonderful, strong, brilliant, beautiful, brave woman". Well done.

Thank you! Arwen's actually the character I identify with most-- I consider her equivalent to a military wife, and I'm a military brat. I'm used to waiting, and how hard that is. Add in the strength of character it took to forsake the culture she grew up in? I can't just ignore her, nor write her as anything but what you quoted. So I'm especially glad it rung true for you.