House of Refuge by Independence1776

| | |

Fanwork Notes

I wrote this for the “X Marks the Spot” Matryoshka challenge. I went a bit overboard and used ten prompts, some more abstract in execution than others: Tol Galen (a sudden change), Ered Luin/Ered Lindon (an uphill battle), Thargelion (shadow of the past), Stockade of the Haladin (barely holding on), Sarn Athrad (friend becomes foe), Ossiriand (eat, drink, and be merry…), Taur-Im-Duinath (the road less traveled), Nan Tathren (planting a seed), Havens of Sirion (coming and going), and Arvernien (a character seeks safety).

This is a Star Wars crossover. The main character is Jedi Knight Kanan Jarrus from Star Wars Rebels, but the fic is set during the Kanan comics in the few months between Order 66 and him taking up with Janus Kasmir. (Rebels takes place over a decade later.) Kanan’s birth name was Caleb Dume and he was fourteen when Order 66 occurred. I think I’ve put all the relevant details in the fic itself; please let me know if I need to explain anything or add more details to this note.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Jedi Padawan Caleb Dume finds temporary sanctuary in Imladris.

Major Characters: Other Fictional Character(s), Celebrían, Elrond, Glorfindel

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Crossover, Hurt/Comfort

Challenges: Jubilee, X Marks the Spot

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Mature Themes

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 13, 737
Posted on 10 February 2023 Updated on 12 February 2023

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This is a fascinating crossover. I love how you showed things from Caleb's perspective and from the elves. I particularly love how Caleb was able to grow and truly center himself in Imladris. 

I really enjoyed this! I didn't know anything about Caleb going in, but I know just enough about the Star Wars universe that that combined with the way you've written him, that didn't really matter. I love the idea of a Jedi finding refuge in Rivendell, and his time there clearly does him a lot of good. I also really love that his first point of contact is Glorfindel, and the parallels drawn between Order 66 and the fall of Gondolin.

Thank you! I am very glad to know it's understandable if you don't know who Caleb is.

Caleb is definitely in a better place at the end of the fic than he is in canon; that was absolutely something I wanted from his time here. I couldn't see him not having changed.

As for Glorfindel: that parallel was the reason I went with Glorfindel in that role.