For One Year, One Day, of the Flame by cuarthol

| | |

Fanwork Notes

I mean... canon could have happened this way.  Just because history did not record it doesn't mean it didn't.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Andreth prepares for the approach of midwinter, while Aegnor seeks to right a choice from long ago, before it is too late.

Major Characters: Aegnor, Andreth

Major Relationships: Aegnor/Andreth

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Het

Challenges: Middle-earth Is Multitudes

Rating: Teens

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 775
Posted on 24 March 2023 Updated on 24 March 2023

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


OH NO 😭. This was so moving. And what beautifully written dialogue, flawless! Tears were threatening to fall from my eyes at multiple points in this. Sad, but also so so satisfying to see them getting this, and Aegnor loving her completely.

I loved this moment:

“I cannot ask for thy forgiveness,” he said, closing his eyes, “though the greatest fool I have been.”

“As thou sayest,” she replied, and he laughed miserably. 

Ahh! So bittersweet! And beautiful!

Indeed, who knows what may have happened in the forty-six years after Finrod and Andreth’s recorded debates!

I love her sense of humour, and lack of pettiness (wise-woman that she is, clearly!) And Aegnor deciding better to be joined now, regardless of what fate may bring beyond the end of the world.

Oh my godddddd cuarthol I'm sobbing like an idiotic, romantic fool! This was so so gorgeous! I absolutely LOVED it! Everything about it! The way she rebukes but then accepts him, the hushed way he speaks to her and, of course, the love he still bears despite her old age. Oh my god, what a perfect, symbolic story! Not only for Aegnor&Andreth but for brushing the very complex topic of ageism! You've left me speechless. Thank you for sharing this! <333

Aaahhh than you so much!  I do love them so!  Andreth absolutely got to rebuke Aegnor (as a treat) but of course that love is still there.  And he absolutely does still love her - I think the Eldar might have been a bit too ready to make assumptions about their reactions to Edain age before they'd really even had a chance to experience it)

And not just ageism but very specifically anti-women ageism (because those seasoned rugged gray men are sex symbols but women over 40 are un-f-able 😒 )

I'm so glad you liked it!! 

 

This is so, so beautiful! I loved every sentence of this. You write both of them so well—Andreth still bitter but quick to forgive, and Aegnor working so hard to not mess it up this time.

The dialogue is just lovely, too. I'd quote my favorite lines, but I would be quoting them all. I especially love how Andreth immediately addresses him with "thou." For all of her bitterness over their parting, she does not hesitate to hide the love she still has for him.

What a beautiful fix-it fic for them! Thanks for sharing! <3